Skeldergate Rapier Practice Report 1 Oct'09

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2009
      Skeldergate Rapier Practice Report 1 Oct'09

      Attendees: Gareth Cambell, Rusulka Galbraith, Sebastian of Greenwood, Jocelyn Cranewall

      Fencers brought donuts and water. Jocelyn & Sebastian started the evening looking over period manuals.

      Lots of good," let's get back in the game" vibe going on amongst the rapier combatants tonight. Can't comment to the armoured combatants, they were practicing outside and I saw none of thier fighting.

      This reporter went a round with each of the other three and by the end felt like I'd held my own. Although two hard shots to another opponent made me admit that I was getting sloppy, tired and it was time to stop.

      Sebastian of Greenwood re-did all of his authorizations, including spoon and bowl, Gareth and Rusulka to follow up with paper work and drop test of Sebastian's armour. I am happy to report, after some time away, Sebastian's Lunge is no longer "Ugly" as previously reported. Any form from Giganti would just simply enhance this gentles game. He's also really tightened up his defence to the point of being artistic. So heed this warning and gift this gentle some respect when met on the list, I don't believe he'll give anyone any quarter.

      Rusulka was dusting off her skills last night. While that might mean re-associating her muscle memory, mass and some cardio, in this reporter's eyes she just simply got back on the metaphorical bicycle. With more consistent practice, she'll be in form in short order. She commented about pain in her shoulder, which in hindsight, might have resulted from gripping the blade to tightly. This is something to think about in future practices.

      Gareth was also dusting off his skills as Sebastian's authorization partner. No change in form of this combatant, still fighting flat footed and from instinct fuelled by self preservation (which makes us all work harder to try and get him). This reporter tried a round with him using sword and dagger which was generally amusing.

      Some conversation about an Italian master named Fabris. All agreed, the defence was good, the endurance and musculature to perform the opening stance, exhausting.

      Next week, hopefully more of the same

      Jocelyn
    • Anna B
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2009
        Many thanks to Lady Jocelyn for writing this report, and also assisting me in getting de-dusted.

        It would appear that the Skeldergate rapier practice is back in action and all fencers are welcome.  Although I will make every effort to be there, my schedule for October is riddled with Thursday night meetings, so before showing up to play, do make sure that a marshal will be there for you to play with.  Thankfully, this is no longer the challenge that it once was.

        In service and dust,
        Rusalka

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2009
          Fabris makes my back ache just thinking about his technique. Ouch! He was
          used a lot in the By the Book Tourney at Pennsic this year.