Searching for nearest practice to Owen Sound

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2009
      Greetings all!

      I'm fairly new to the region, and am looking for a practice near the Owen Sound area. As far as I can tell from the kingdom page, Owen Sound doesn't have a local group so I know I'll have a bit of a drive to find someone to cross blades with. Any information is appreciated!

      I'm a transplant from the East kingdom, and have been enjoying and teaching rapier combat for almost 20 years. I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible, and renewing my acquaintances with those I met at Pennsics past.

      Many thanks,
      Ysabiau
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 23, 2009

        The closest active to you is probably Caer Draeth (Barrie) which, according
        to Google Maps, is approximately 1 ½ hours from you by a fairly direct route
        (hwy 26). The person to get in touch with would by Lady Robyn O’Connor who I
        am sure would love to play with you as she is an army of one locally IIRC. I
        believe she is on this list but I’ll see if I can put her in touch with you
        if she doesn’t beat me too it.

        Albrecht

        KRM, Ealdormere

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2009
          Greetings Again!

          First, my apologies for not properly welcoming you in my message last night.
          That's what I get for posting at 1:30 in the morning. Welcome to the Kingdom
          of Ealdormere! It sounds like you bring a wealth of experience with you from
          the East which is wonderful. I posted last night about Caer Draeth. The good
          Baroness of Ramshaven also posted to the Ealdormere list about practice in
          Kitchener. It is an extra half hour but you are also likely to find more
          fencers there. I'm in Guelph which is a further half hour or so away but I
          sometimes get out to the Kitchener practice on Thursdays.

          In terms of events with rapier, I believe there is a tourney at Huntsman's
          Harvest in Binbrook on October 17th. A website for the event can be found
          here:

          http://ealdormere.ca/bendunfirth/Main.htm

          Hopefully they can work around the current Edict against Dueling. It should
          also be noted that Martial activities except archery are weather dependant.
          Lord Yoshi, the RMIC is a great guy.

          If you have any questions about rapier in Ealdormere please let me know and
          I will answer them as best I can.

          Yours in Service

          THL Albrecht Stampfer

          KRM, Ealdormere

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 24, 2009
            Salutations!

            Many thanks for the information. I figured Barrie and K-W must have groups, and so it'll be a bit of a hike to get to a practice. I may not be able to make it on a weekly basis, but definitely will try to attend practice at each location.

            Thank you for the welcome. I wasn't sure how much I should post about myself as I didn't want to bore everyone. I've traveled and fought rapier in seven kingdoms so far, and very much enjoy meeting new people and finding a good fight! I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to Harvest as my daughter will be up visiting that week, but hopefully will be able to make your acquaintance at another event this fall.

            Your servant,
            Lady Ysabiau de Mortagne

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 24, 2009
              Let this list know when you're going to be getting to K-W and I'll try to
              arrange to be there as well. Also, hearing about what other people have
              experienced in rapier, especially a person so well travelled as you, could
              never be boring. Beyond the occasional trip to Pennsic, I haven't been out
              of Ealdormere much.

              The rapier community in Ealdormere is not huge, but they are some of the
              nicest people I have ever encountered. You should have lots of fun playing
              with them and I look forward to crossing blades with you in the near future.

              --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Eve
              Harris & David Stamper" <evedave1@...> wrote:

              > Greetings Again!
              >

              > First, my apologies for not properly welcoming you in my message last
              night.
              > That's what I get for posting at 1:30 in the morning. Welcome to the
              Kingdom
              > of Ealdormere! It sounds like you bring a wealth of experience with you
              from
              > the East which is wonderful. I posted last night about Caer Draeth. The
              good
              > Baroness of Ramshaven also posted to the Ealdormere list about practice in
              > Kitchener. It is an extra half hour but you are also likely to find more
              > fencers there. I'm in Guelph which is a further half hour or so away but I
              > sometimes get out to the Kitchener practice on Thursdays.
              >

              > In terms of events with rapier, I believe there is a tourney at Huntsman's
              > Harvest in Binbrook on October 17th. A website for the event can be found
              > here:
              >

              > http://ealdormere. <http://ealdormere.ca/bendunfirth/Main.htm>
              ca/bendunfirth/Main.htm

              > Hopefully they can work around the current Edict against Dueling. It
              should
              > also be noted that Martial activities except archery are weather
              dependant.
              > Lord Yoshi, the RMIC is a great guy.
              >

              > If you have any questions about rapier in Ealdormere please let me know
              and
              > I will answer them as best I can.
              >

              > Yours in Service
              >

              > THL Albrecht Stampfer
              >
              > KRM, Ealdormere

            • Robert Bohler
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 24, 2009
                Yep, we are a nice bunch.
                If you're ever in the Kingston area, you'd be very welcome to join us Tuesday evenings for practice.

                Robert Bohler
                Canton of Greyfells

                Many thanks for the information. I figured Barrie and K-W must have groups,
                and so it'll be a bit of a hike to get to a practice. I may not be able to
                make it on a weekly basis, but definitely will try to attend practice at
                each location.

                Thank you for the welcome. I wasn't sure how much I should post about myself
                as I didn't want to bore everyone. I've traveled and fought rapier in seven
                kingdoms so far, and very much enjoy meeting new people and finding a good
                fight! I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to Harvest as my daughter
                will be up visiting that week, but hopefully will be able to make your
                acquaintance at another event this fall.

                Your servant,
                Lady Ysabiau de Mortagne

                --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Eve
                Harris & David Stamper" <evedave1@...> wrote:

                > Greetings Again!
                >

                > First, my apologies for not properly welcoming you in my message last
                night.
                > That's what I get for posting at 1:30 in the morning. Welcome to the
                Kingdom
                > of Ealdormere! It sounds like you bring a wealth of experience with you
                from
                > the East which is wonderful. I posted last night about Caer Draeth. The
                good
                > Baroness of Ramshaven also posted to the Ealdormere list about practice in
                > Kitchener. It is an extra half hour but you are also likely to find more
                > fencers there. I'm in Guelph which is a further half hour or so away but I
                > sometimes get out to the Kitchener practice on Thursdays.
                >

                > In terms of events with rapier, I believe there is a tourney at Huntsman's
                > Harvest in Binbrook on October 17th. A website for the event can be found
                > here:
                >

                > http://ealdormere. <http://ealdormere.ca/bendunfirth/Main.htm>
                ca/bendunfirth/Main.htm

                > Hopefully they can work around the current Edict against Dueling. It
                should
                > also be noted that Martial activities except archery are weather
                dependant.
                > Lord Yoshi, the RMIC is a great guy.
                >

                > If you have any questions about rapier in Ealdormere please let me know
                and
                > I will answer them as best I can.
                >

                > Yours in Service
                >

                > THL Albrecht Stampfer
                >
                > KRM, Ealdormere

              • Samantha
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 24, 2009
                  Hi, Just wanted to say Welcome!

                  If you ever fancy coming down Hamilton way Ben Dunfirth has a good sized group of fencers. There is a couple that come down from Barrie to fence with us on occaison. We are always very happy for more fencers we fight monday nights at Prince Phillips School in Hamilton.

                  Brenna the Undecided
                  Ben Dunfirth