Re: [E_Rapier] Pennsic / Kingdom Champion

  • Ross Weaver
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
      There is often a call for additional champions (in the past it has
      been 30 combatants from each side), the Middle has often asked for at
      least 2 of our best. As we are fighting with the East it would be
      smart for them to take about 3 of our best because it is a schlauger
      only tournament we have an advantage over most of their top people and
      their allies as we are used to fighting with schlauger.

      ~Wilhelm

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
        There is usually a war point that is a Champions battle, each side picks 1 or 2 allies and a bunch of their own people and they have single combat.  Their Majesties of Ealdormere get to chose the Champion.  They've chosen Sir Edward this year, though his participation may depend on how is ankle is doing.

        Eyrny

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
          From the tourney description it looks like it will be 20 from the East and
          10 Allies. Here is a description of all the tourneys:

          http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn38/MARTIAL/rapierdesc.html

          And here is the schedule:

          http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn38/MARTIAL/rapiersched.html

          And here are the Rules for rapier at Pennsic:

          http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn38/MARTIAL/rapierrules.html

          Albrecht

          (Who is probably going to miss La Rochelle this year)

          _____

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
            Interestingly enough, at Pennsic this year they have chosen the same
            convention for DFB as we use in Ealdormere:

            Fighters may strike any opponent with any legal blow if they are within the
            180-degree arc of the opponent's front, as measured from the plane of the
            opponent's shoulders. A fighter who approaches an opponent from behind shall
            not deliver a blow until he is within that frontal arc. A fighter may never
            strike an opponent from behind. In addition, fencers should make a
            reasonable attempt to get an opponent's attention before throwing a blow.

          • David Whitford
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
               Measured by shoulders? Do you ever have an issue with folks in a "fencers stance" shoulders running front to rear and thus their back faces either right or left of the line and there cant be struck? We discussed this idea for GW and found alot of resistence to it for this reason.
              Just curious
              Robert

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                Part of the problem is that we do so little melee in Ealdormere that it is
                hard to see when something becomes problematic. There have been excellent
                initiatives by THL Gareth and Count Sir Edward in getting some melee
                training going here but it's still not extensive. I made the ruling so there
                would at least be some consistency and I noted that several other Kingdoms
                use the convention. Baroness Eyrny recently showed me a copy of the rules
                from GW where front seems to be more determined by direction of movement and
                intent then by anatomy and it seems very sensible. I'm planning on reviewing
                the way we handle front but I just thought it was interesting that Pennsic
                they were using the shoulders convention.

                I think with the shoulders issue a bit of common sense comes into play. Once
                you've seen someone who could engage you, you can't go twisting your
                shoulders around to put an obvious opponent behind you. With one shoulder
                leading there is still a fair amount of "front" to hit and it does pretty
                much force the opponent to move into a place where they can be seen. I do
                like the addition of the reasonable attempt at being seen. I guess we'll
                have to see how things go at Pennsic. Again, the GW solution sounded good to
                me and it's something I'm considering.

                Albrecht

                KRM, Ealdormere

                _____

                --- On Fri, 7/10/09, Eve Harris & David Stamper <evedave1@rogers.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                  Piece of advice-dont apply common sense, the issue I presented actually was used repeatedly as a defense on why a shot was illegal. If time allows we can chat about it at pennsic.
                  Robert

                  From: Eve Harris & David Stamper <evedave1@rogers.
                  <mailto:evedave1% 40rogers. com> com>
                  To: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
                  Date: Friday, July 10, 2009, 8:47 AM

                  Interestingly enough, at Pennsic this year they have chosen the same
                  convention for DFB as we use in Ealdormere:

                  Fighters may strike any opponent with any legal blow if they are within the
                  180-degree arc of the opponent's front, as measured from the plane of the
                  opponent's shoulders. A fighter who approaches an opponent from behind shall
                  not deliver a blow until he is within that frontal arc. A fighter may never
                  strike an opponent from behind. In addition, fencers should make a
                  reasonable attempt to get an opponent's attention before throwing a blow.

                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  http://mail. <http://mail. yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                    That would be nice. I plan on spending a fair bit of time around the rapier
                    lists. My wife is working for PI and I need to have something to do while
                    she's doing the newspaper thing.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                      No telling where I'll be, doing a lot of squire stuff this war in theory.
                      Robert

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009

                        > No telling where I'll be, doing a lot of squire stuff this war in theory.
                        > Robert

                        :-P

                        Eyrny
                      • Mark Patchett
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 23, 2009
                          Greetings from Edward the Red,

                          One last message before I head off to land grab tomorrow ...

                          We have 2 massed fencing warpoints this year:

                          Field battles -- Monday Aug 3rd starting at 3:00 pm
                          Woods battle -- Thursday Aug 6th starting at 3:00 pm

                          In both cases we should try to all arrive between 1 hour and 30 minutes
                          before the battle -- to make sure we're all ready to fence, and know
                          what our plan for the battle will be. For the woods battle in
                          particular they've asked that we be there 30 minutes prior at the
                          absolute latest.
                          We can muster at the Ealdormere shade on the battlefield before the
                          Field battles, and at our res. point for the Woods battle -- which I
                          believe is on the _far_ side of the woods. We can probably arrange a
                          few vehicles heading out to the woods, for anyone who needs a ride.

                          I'll be camping at "Up the Hill" in block B02 this year ( along with
                          Hoskuld & Eyrny when they arrive in about a week )
                          Have a safe trip ( or a safe stay at home for anyone not making the trip
                          this year )
                          -Edward

                          PS: for anyone who needs to contact me for about the next 24 hours,
                          patchett@... (Rylyn's address at home ) should still reach me