RE: [E_Rapier] Pennsic / Kingdom Champion

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
      It's on Sunday the 2nd, and our current Champion is Count Sir Edward the
      Red.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
        There is often a call for additional champions (in the past it has
        been 30 combatants from each side), the Middle has often asked for at
        least 2 of our best. As we are fighting with the East it would be
        smart for them to take about 3 of our best because it is a schlauger
        only tournament we have an advantage over most of their top people and
        their allies as we are used to fighting with schlauger.

        ~Wilhelm

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
          Ahhh yes !!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
            There is usually a war point that is a Champions battle, each side picks 1 or 2 allies and a bunch of their own people and they have single combat.  Their Majesties of Ealdormere get to chose the Champion.  They've chosen Sir Edward this year, though his participation may depend on how is ankle is doing.

            Eyrny

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
              From the tourney description it looks like it will be 20 from the East and
              10 Allies. Here is a description of all the tourneys:

              http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn38/MARTIAL/rapierdesc.html

              And here is the schedule:

              http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn38/MARTIAL/rapiersched.html

              And here are the Rules for rapier at Pennsic:

              http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn38/MARTIAL/rapierrules.html

              Albrecht

              (Who is probably going to miss La Rochelle this year)

              _____

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                Interestingly enough, at Pennsic this year they have chosen the same
                convention for DFB as we use in Ealdormere:

                Fighters may strike any opponent with any legal blow if they are within the
                180-degree arc of the opponent's front, as measured from the plane of the
                opponent's shoulders. A fighter who approaches an opponent from behind shall
                not deliver a blow until he is within that frontal arc. A fighter may never
                strike an opponent from behind. In addition, fencers should make a
                reasonable attempt to get an opponent's attention before throwing a blow.

              • David Whitford
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                   Measured by shoulders? Do you ever have an issue with folks in a "fencers stance" shoulders running front to rear and thus their back faces either right or left of the line and there cant be struck? We discussed this idea for GW and found alot of resistence to it for this reason.
                  Just curious
                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                    Part of the problem is that we do so little melee in Ealdormere that it is
                    hard to see when something becomes problematic. There have been excellent
                    initiatives by THL Gareth and Count Sir Edward in getting some melee
                    training going here but it's still not extensive. I made the ruling so there
                    would at least be some consistency and I noted that several other Kingdoms
                    use the convention. Baroness Eyrny recently showed me a copy of the rules
                    from GW where front seems to be more determined by direction of movement and
                    intent then by anatomy and it seems very sensible. I'm planning on reviewing
                    the way we handle front but I just thought it was interesting that Pennsic
                    they were using the shoulders convention.

                    I think with the shoulders issue a bit of common sense comes into play. Once
                    you've seen someone who could engage you, you can't go twisting your
                    shoulders around to put an obvious opponent behind you. With one shoulder
                    leading there is still a fair amount of "front" to hit and it does pretty
                    much force the opponent to move into a place where they can be seen. I do
                    like the addition of the reasonable attempt at being seen. I guess we'll
                    have to see how things go at Pennsic. Again, the GW solution sounded good to
                    me and it's something I'm considering.

                    Albrecht

                    KRM, Ealdormere

                    _____

                    --- On Fri, 7/10/09, Eve Harris & David Stamper <evedave1@rogers.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                      Piece of advice-dont apply common sense, the issue I presented actually was used repeatedly as a defense on why a shot was illegal. If time allows we can chat about it at pennsic.
                      Robert

                      From: Eve Harris & David Stamper <evedave1@rogers.
                      <mailto:evedave1% 40rogers. com> com>
                      To: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
                      Date: Friday, July 10, 2009, 8:47 AM

                      Interestingly enough, at Pennsic this year they have chosen the same
                      convention for DFB as we use in Ealdormere:

                      Fighters may strike any opponent with any legal blow if they are within the
                      180-degree arc of the opponent's front, as measured from the plane of the
                      opponent's shoulders. A fighter who approaches an opponent from behind shall
                      not deliver a blow until he is within that frontal arc. A fighter may never
                      strike an opponent from behind. In addition, fencers should make a
                      reasonable attempt to get an opponent's attention before throwing a blow.

                      Do You Yahoo!?
                      http://mail. <http://mail. yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                        That would be nice. I plan on spending a fair bit of time around the rapier
                        lists. My wife is working for PI and I need to have something to do while
                        she's doing the newspaper thing.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                          No telling where I'll be, doing a lot of squire stuff this war in theory.
                          Robert

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009

                            > No telling where I'll be, doing a lot of squire stuff this war in theory.
                            > Robert

                            :-P

                            Eyrny
                          • Mark Patchett
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 23, 2009
                              Greetings from Edward the Red,

                              One last message before I head off to land grab tomorrow ...

                              We have 2 massed fencing warpoints this year:

                              Field battles -- Monday Aug 3rd starting at 3:00 pm
                              Woods battle -- Thursday Aug 6th starting at 3:00 pm

                              In both cases we should try to all arrive between 1 hour and 30 minutes
                              before the battle -- to make sure we're all ready to fence, and know
                              what our plan for the battle will be. For the woods battle in
                              particular they've asked that we be there 30 minutes prior at the
                              absolute latest.
                              We can muster at the Ealdormere shade on the battlefield before the
                              Field battles, and at our res. point for the Woods battle -- which I
                              believe is on the _far_ side of the woods. We can probably arrange a
                              few vehicles heading out to the woods, for anyone who needs a ride.

                              I'll be camping at "Up the Hill" in block B02 this year ( along with
                              Hoskuld & Eyrny when they arrive in about a week )
                              Have a safe trip ( or a safe stay at home for anyone not making the trip
                              this year )
                              -Edward

                              PS: for anyone who needs to contact me for about the next 24 hours,
                              patchett@... (Rylyn's address at home ) should still reach me