linen

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
      Linen is 100% natural fibre and breathes wonderfully, 3-4 layers usually makes great rapier armour.  Fabricland is starting their spring/summer clearance sales, it's a good time to check them out.  Read the bolts carefully though, they'll put 100% linen with cotton-linen and linen-rayon blends on the same table.

      Eyrny
    • kgarlow@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
        OMG! Yes, it is that time again, isn't it! Thanks for the reminder Eyrny! (my husband is shaking his head)

        Not to disagree but I would find that in most cases, 4 layers is a bit excessive. Take your proposed armor fabric, wash it and then have it punch tested with various layers to see what you really need. It will vary as much as the weave of the fabric of choice and the weave of 100% linen will tend to tighten a bit with washing. Generally speaking, the tighter the weave, the fewer layers required. I have a 100% linen that's passing the punch test easily with just 2 layers.

        Test first, then sew!

        Cainder

        who's hoping to catch the fabric sales!
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
        Kelly Wyatt
        k.wyatt59@...
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^

        To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com; Ealdormere@yahoogroups.com
        From: kgormanshaw@...
        Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 07:01:07 -0700
        Subject: [E_Rapier] linen

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
          > Not to disagree but I would find that in most cases, 4 layers is a bit
          > excessive. Take your proposed armor fabric, wash it and then have it punch

          I know 3 layers will usually pass, but I want mine to pass in 2 years as well, and still get washed regularly, so we usually go with 4.  A balance of priorities  :-)

          Eyrny
        • Yvonne Rogers
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
            I've tried punching a 100% linen, 4 layer swatch and had it fail...what Weave? Thread count? are you all using?

          • Wendy Colbert
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
              Look here:
              http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=showarticles&menu=f&article=1
              Fabric-store.com ilo19 has always passed the drop test with 3 layers, sometimes it will even pass with 2 layers.
              Irene

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                Irene,

                YOu are a goddess. I still owe you 3 skanes of spun wool. DO I have penance to pay or a reprev until next spring?

                Please let me know.

                Cheers,
                Jocelyne

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                  You don't owe me any skeins of yarn. But if you want to visit and spin with me some time I would love it.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                    Frankly, I'm not certain where my linen came from. Cait picked up a great group deal and a half dozen or so of us got some about 2 years ago. I don't even remember what I paid for it, only that it was way more reasonable than it would have been bought locally. I got a bolt of a pale sagey green and about 10 yards of the yummiest orangey red. One day I'll get off my butt and actually sew something with them.

                    Cainder

                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    Kelly Wyatt
                    k.wyatt59@...
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

                    To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                    From: tamlin_01@...
                    Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 20:58:24 +0000

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2009
                      Is that the stuff you were supposed to bring yesterday for testing?  :-P

                      I've used Judy Linen, which is a brand name, and a lot of Fabricland's "standard" shirt weight.  I haven't seen a weave or threadcount on it.  Perhaps we should review use of the drop tester?

                      Eyrny

                      > I've tried punching a 100% linen, 4 layer swatch and had it fail...what Weave?
                      > Thread count? are you all using?
                      > Jocelyn

                    • Yvonne Rogers
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                        Grr..I had my linen at Trillium to.. Sigh..agreed that drop tester use review is a good thing. Not this Thursday though,..ah hmm.. alternate date is not coming to mind before Pennsic...

                        JOcelyn

                        > Is that the stuff you were supposed to bring yesterday for testing?  :-P
                        >
                        > I've used Judy Linen, which is a brand name, and a lot of Fabricland's "standard" shirt weight.  I haven't seen a weave or threadcount on it.  Perhaps we should review use of the drop tester?
                        >
                        > Eyrny

                      • Wendy Colbert
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                          Would you like a swatch of the ILO19 linen that I use? If so how large a swatch?
                          Irene