Re: [E_Rapier] Re: Practice in Guelph -- Drills

    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2009
      I agree Drills underappreaciated but VERY important to do.  We don't do many in Trinovantia Nova anymore, which perhaps we should be doing, but we we do have one that we do religiously and seems to help with our calibration and targeting.  Everyone's probably seen us do it at a practice or Event, but I'm happy to discuss it further with anyone if they'd like - just email me.

      Now, we've all done drills and do drills, but I have a question to ask, in the spirit of my mentor, the maker of evil toys:  What makes a good drill?

      Thoughts anyone?

      I have some, but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks...

      Mateo

      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2009
        Hmmm welll the pointy end goes toward your opponent..... Right ..???

        That being said ... what I tend to do is simply throw the same attack over and over letting my student figure out the
        best defense / parry / or defensive attack / counter

        If I find that they are struggling with this I show them the attack and have them attack me ( with that attack )
        slowly ...then faster and faster ... as I demonstrate what I believe to be the best defense / parry / or defensive
        attack / counter

        Once they " Get it " I then again throw the shot.

        It is also important to show them how to negate that attack ! Usually a parallel mirrored move.

        I also am a very verbal instructor ** Encouragement ** does wonders... ;-)

        I am also amused by the fact that a three letter prefex to mentor changes it completly ...

        The prefex being tor ... tormentor :-0

        > I agree Drills underappreaciated but VERY important to do.  We don't do many in Trinovantia Nova anymore, which
        > perhaps we should be doing, but we we do have one that we do religiously and seems to help with our calibration and
        > targeting.  Everyone's probably seen us do it at a practice or Event, but I'm happy to discuss it further with
        anyone
        > if they'd like - just email me.
        > Now, we've all done drills and do drills, but I have a question to ask, in the spirit of my mentor, the maker of evil
        > toys:  What makes a good drill?
        > Thoughts anyone?
        >
        > I have some, but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks...
        >
        > Mateo

      • Scott Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2009
          I think drills have worked out in Trinovantia Nova, though trying to force people to do drills at the begining of each practice never really caught on. We do 2 drills at the begining of our practices consisting of a callibration/targeting drill, and sometimes also include a circle parry's drill. these seem to be the mainstay for drills that most our group participates in. Another drill I thought was "handy" was the swordless response drill (not exactly sure what Mateo actually called it) but it consisted of one person making an attack with his hand (no sword) and the other person using the appropriate parry in response no sword aswell (all done at half speed), then from that parry make a reposte (counter attack) while the other makes a parry, repeating this a few times back and forth, to get used to the footwork, and motion required to make good parrys.

          Dalin Caulder

          To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com