Practice in Guelph

    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2009

      It looks like we will be moving outside for rapier practices in the Guelph
      area. Practices will be held at my place, 444 Victoria Road N (Victoria and
      Woodlawn) starting at 7 pm on Tuesdays weather permitting. My unit # is 604
      and my buzzer code is 74. We'll go until we basically run out of light.

      Last night's practice in Guelph was awesome! Actually, I didn't actually
      fence. Baron Hoskuld and I did 2 solid hours of drill on the first four
      German longsword guards (Ochs, Pflug, Alber and vom Tag). I think drill is
      something we don't do enough of in the SCA and I highly recommend it. I know
      drill isn't as sexy as actual fencing but by repeating the same motions over
      and over it helps build muscle memory allowing things to happen much more
      naturally and instinctively. Drills will also help with things like point
      control and calibration. I know there are a number of resources for rapier
      drill online and I will try to post some in the near future.

      So, I look forward to seeing people at the practices. If you know anybody
      who is interested in coming out to the practices and has questions about
      fencing please have them contact me.

      Albrecht
      KRM, Ealdormere
    • Paul Perreault
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2009
        As it turns out, my night shift should be done by the end of next week, so I should be able to come out to a few of those practices starting in June. :)

        Yoshi

        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2009
          Excellent!

          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Eve
          Harris & David Stamper" <evedave1@...> wrote:

          > Greetings!
          >
          > It looks like we will be moving outside for rapier practices in the Guelph
          > area. Practices will be held at my place, 444 Victoria Road N (Victoria
          and
          > Woodlawn) starting at 7 pm on Tuesdays weather permitting. My unit # is
          604
          > and my buzzer code is 74. We'll go until we basically run out of light.
          >
          > Last night's practice in Guelph was awesome! Actually, I didn't actually
          > fence. Baron Hoskuld and I did 2 solid hours of drill on the first four
          > German longsword guards (Ochs, Pflug, Alber and vom Tag). I think drill is
          > something we don't do enough of in the SCA and I highly recommend it. I
          know
          > drill isn't as sexy as actual fencing but by repeating the same motions
          over
          > and over it helps build muscle memory allowing things to happen much more
          > naturally and instinctively. Drills will also help with things like point
          > control and calibration. I know there are a number of resources for rapier
          > drill online and I will try to post some in the near future.
          >
          > So, I look forward to seeing people at the practices. If you know anybody
          > who is interested in coming out to the practices and has questions about
          > fencing please have them contact me.
          >
          > Albrecht
          > KRM, Ealdormere

        • Anna B
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2009
            Agreed.  Drills *are* sexy.

            Tuesdays might be good, have to google and find out just how long it'd take to get from here to there, but 7 sounds reasonable enough..

            Thanks for the notice, oh wise and powerful KRM :)

            with tongue firmly in cheek,
            Rusalka

          • thltoymaker@cogeco.ca
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14, 2009

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 27, 2009

                With Pennsic prep I won't have time to run a practice tomorrow so it is
                cancelled until after my return from the Southern lands. I look forward to
                seeing many of you at War and in the meantime, everybody please play safe.