Re: Spam from E Rapier

  • Yvonne Rogers
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
      Nope..not getting this issue
      Jocelyne

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
        > > I've been getting the occasional spam message from e-rapier. They are being
        > > caught by my spam filter and they don't show up on the groups page. I've
        > > also seen spam coming in from othe Ealdormere Yahoo groups. Is anybody else
        > > getting this?

        I have only rare messages in a yahoo group that is spam.  When I was KRM the rapier@... address DID generate spam.

        I've been using the Rogers online email access lately, and while I'm not pleased with it overall, it does seem to remove a lot of spam before it even gets to me, and does a pretty good job of sorting spam into the spam folder and real messages where they should be.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
          Thank you everybody for the responses. Thankfully my spam filter has been
          catching it. I'm wondering if somebody who is subscribed to e-rapier and
          some other Ealdormere groups has a bot or some such that is using random
          e-mail addresses to send spam. It's odd that these messages don't actually
          show up on the E-Rapier group. Then again my lack of knowledge regarding
          most things computer is truly breathtaking.

          rapier@ealdormere. <mailto:rapier%40ealdormere.sca.org> sca.org address DID

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
            I too got a lot of spam from the KRM email address.  A LOT.

            Since then, I haven't noticed a problem.

            :>
            Mateo

            I have only rare messages in a yahoo group that is spam.  When I was KRM the rapier@ealdormere. sca.org address DID generate spam.

            I've been using the Rogers online email access lately, and while I'm not pleased with it overall, it does seem to remove a lot of spam before it even gets to me, and does a pretty good job of sorting spam into the spam folder and real messages where they should be.

          • Ross Weaver
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
              Geek hat on... Why Albrecht is getting e-mail that says it is from
              the group but isn't:

              The trick the spammers are using is that the spam does not actually
              come from the group, but they use a trusted e-mail address,
              e_rapier@yahoogroups.com as the from and reply-to when they send it
              out. So it never actually goes through or comes from the yahoo
              servers before it comes into your mail, but it looks like it does.
              And often people modify their spam filters to allow all e-mail from
              "safe" groups like e_rapier@yahoogroups.com, where only approved
              members can post which lets annoying spam to run right through the
              filter...

              ~Wilhelm