Re: [E_Rapier] Spam from E Rapier

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2009
      I'm not getting any either.
      --j

      On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Steve Bulger <steveb1@...> wrote:
      > Eve Harris & David Stamper wrote:
      >> Greetings!
      >>
      >> I've been getting the occasional spam message from e-rapier. They are being
      >> caught by my spam filter and they don't show up on the groups page. I've
      >> also seen spam coming in from othe Ealdormere Yahoo groups. Is anybody else
      >> getting this?
      >>
      >> Albrecht
      >>

      > It has not been a problem for me.
      >
      >                Gerhard
      >
      > --
      >
      > "On the road of life,
      > When you stop to smell roses,
      > Do not sniff the bees!"
      >
      > (Haiku by Snooch)
      >

      > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4022 (20090420) __________

      > http://www.eset.com

    • Yvonne Rogers
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
        Nope..not getting this issue
        Jocelyne

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
          > > I've been getting the occasional spam message from e-rapier. They are being
          > > caught by my spam filter and they don't show up on the groups page. I've
          > > also seen spam coming in from othe Ealdormere Yahoo groups. Is anybody else
          > > getting this?

          I have only rare messages in a yahoo group that is spam.  When I was KRM the rapier@... address DID generate spam.

          I've been using the Rogers online email access lately, and while I'm not pleased with it overall, it does seem to remove a lot of spam before it even gets to me, and does a pretty good job of sorting spam into the spam folder and real messages where they should be.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
            Thank you everybody for the responses. Thankfully my spam filter has been
            catching it. I'm wondering if somebody who is subscribed to e-rapier and
            some other Ealdormere groups has a bot or some such that is using random
            e-mail addresses to send spam. It's odd that these messages don't actually
            show up on the E-Rapier group. Then again my lack of knowledge regarding
            most things computer is truly breathtaking.

            rapier@ealdormere. <mailto:rapier%40ealdormere.sca.org> sca.org address DID

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
              I too got a lot of spam from the KRM email address.  A LOT.

              Since then, I haven't noticed a problem.

              :>
              Mateo

              I have only rare messages in a yahoo group that is spam.  When I was KRM the rapier@ealdormere. sca.org address DID generate spam.

              I've been using the Rogers online email access lately, and while I'm not pleased with it overall, it does seem to remove a lot of spam before it even gets to me, and does a pretty good job of sorting spam into the spam folder and real messages where they should be.

            • Ross Weaver
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21, 2009
                Geek hat on... Why Albrecht is getting e-mail that says it is from
                the group but isn't:

                The trick the spammers are using is that the spam does not actually
                come from the group, but they use a trusted e-mail address,
                e_rapier@yahoogroups.com as the from and reply-to when they send it
                out. So it never actually goes through or comes from the yahoo
                servers before it comes into your mail, but it looks like it does.
                And often people modify their spam filters to allow all e-mail from
                "safe" groups like e_rapier@yahoogroups.com, where only approved
                members can post which lets annoying spam to run right through the
                filter...

                ~Wilhelm