Armour Fabric Choices was: Linen fencing armour

  • Ross Weaver
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      Linen is a fabulous fabric for heat because it wicks moisture, because
      it is from cellulose. Cotton on the other hand is from the flower and
      adsorbs moisture then tries to hold on to it. So linen draws moisture
      away and allows it to evaporate, where cotton sucks up moisture and
      let's it sit against you still. This also means that linen is more
      likely to let air through after you sweat in it, where cotton will not
      because there is enough moisture in it to block the flow of air.
      Polyester and silk neither tend to wick moisture or adsorb moisture,
      it just leaves sweat on your skin, leaving you uncomfortable and hot
      (remember we perspire to allow evaporating sweat to cool us down).

      That all said, if there are too many layers of linen and the moisture
      can't get to the surface, you lose the advantage of linen as far as
      evaporating sweat. So you are more likely better off with fewer
      thinner layers than many heavier layers, no matter what the fabric is.

      As far as making safe armour, the most important factor to how well a
      fabric passes is the complexity of weave in the fabric. So a complex
      Jacquard does better than a twill weave which does better than a tabby
      weave. The second most important factor is the weight of the fabric,
      then the content of the fabric. So if you can find say a light
      cotton/poly, complex jacquard for your shell it may pass the drop test
      with a medium weight twill linen lining, and the heat issue would be
      fairly good (this is my own experience here). Of course what would be
      best is linen jacquard, but good luck finding it, linen usually only
      comes in tabby weave, and so in my experience does very poor on the
      drop test compared to any jacquard weave. One of the worst for the
      drop test in my experience though is cotton canvas (usually tabby
      weave) and cotton duck as well. They may feel heavy but they do very
      poorly on the drop test. The magic combo I find is cotton/poly
      "tabling" (light weight jacquard) and a mid weight cotton twill. Then
      I usually line it with linen for comfort...

      ~Wilhelm, tailor and marshal...