Re: [E_Rapier] Awards !!

  • Anna B
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
      Speaking as one of the 'others' who has attempted to assist Gerrard in having the very worthy people has has recomended for a number of extremely over-due awards, for the past what oh?.. three?  four reigns?  I can honestly say that this is not an approach which always works.

      Personally, I find this extremely frustrating as our Royals cry out daily for recomendations, to recomend people who are deserving, contributing, wonderful and well liked over and over and over and -nothing-.  After a while you just give up.   And that's not exactly consturctive, or helpful in any respect.

      In service,
      Rusalka the much absent

      ________________________________
      From: thltoymaker@ cogeco.ca
      Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:53:19 -0400

      Hmmm yes mostly the process can be frustrating !!
      Just look at how many times we have made a recommendation for a certain fencer for a Hammer.
      For myself I feel like hmmm how many times do I need to do this?
      I now have a second person in mind for a Hammer. Yet until fencer A gets theirs I cant see that fencer B would even be considered.
      Three of my recommendations have gone through three different Reins without recognition !

      What I guess I'm looking for is a system that allows me to contact a large group so that a large irrefutable recommendation can be given.

      So I propose to create within my own e-mail program a Contact Group of fencers.
      Now unfortunately it can't include anyone we might want to recommend for a Scarlet Banner.
      So since Hammer is the highest level they can easily be included.
      Then add any Scarlet Banners as they already have one !

      So who all has Hammers and who all have Banners ??

      Reply to

      thltoymaker @...

      THANKS !

    • David Whitford
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
        Being the tourist on this list I have a few simple suggestions that you may or may not care for (I handle being told to be quiet and sit out of the way very well). Inquire of incoming Crowns what they look for in award recs, ask how They view particular awards. This can assist a great deal in your writing as insure that you have gathered the information They require. When opportunity presents itself say "hello" and ask if They (or their secretary for such things) if they had recieved and look for Their input and opinions (very useful if They do not agree with you). Politeness and persistence will be your best ally.
        Robert
        (back to war packing)

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        @@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@

        To: E_Rapier@yahoogroup s.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 12, 2009
          A few comments about award recommendations from Ealdormere's outlying barony...

          First off, just because you submitted recommendations to one set of
          Royalty you are not done. Most of the time when a new King and Queen
          step up no list of already proposed individuals does not get passed
          on. They are usually starting from scratch again. So a long history
          of recommending someone often means nothing. The best strategy here
          is to target the new Prince and Princess after Crown Tournament, each
          time. You know it gets on their list then and if for some crazy
          reason they do get a list of previously proposed people they may not
          even look at it. And if the sitting K&Q discussed awards the P&P then
          that name is on both their radars hopefully.

          Second, it is funny to hear that the Southern Shires feel lacking in
          recognition. You want lag time, come to Skraeling Althing. There is
          a marked difference between the amount of time recognition comes to
          members out here than in Southern Ealdormere. There are few factors,
          of course. One is that often K&Q's have a target length of court and
          trim their awards to meet that length, and well we don't see the K&Q
          as often up here. Two, is that we are thinly populated so even if the
          Canton supports someone , you get maybe 12 to 14 recommendations...
          There are others as well that aren't worth detailing, but basically
          the Southern Shires don't have it as bad.

          Third, well if you are not a "core focus", you are not as noticeable
          to the Royalty. If we just look the percentage of authorized armoured
          combatants that recieve a Scarlet Banner or a Thorbjorn's Hammer
          versus the percentages of Rapier combatants or Archers, it becomes
          obvious you are more likely to get a combat award if you are an
          armoured combatant. Heck we had a King that gave an award to every
          armoured combatant that fought at Pennsic, but not a single rapier
          combatant got one... And don't even talk to me about the status of
          historical dance in the A&S community...

          So some food for thought people...
          ~Wilhelm