RE: [E_Rapier] Awards !!

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
      To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
      From: kgormanshaw@...
      Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:11:19 -0700
      Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Awards !!

      > I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the
      > Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've

      Does Baronial representation matter? Are members of baronies getting more awards than others?

      In my experience, backed up by court reporting through the College of Heralds, Yes. Members of baronies get more recognition and more often recognized than members of shires.

      Cainder

      who will be starting yet another list of award rec's for submission next month to the new Magesties.

      Recent Activity

      1
      New MembersVisit Your Group

      Yahoo! Groups
      Auto Enthusiast Zone

      Auto Enthusiast Zone

      Discover auto groups

      Yahoo! Groups
      Join people over 40

      who are finding ways

      to stay in shape.

      Weight Loss Group
      on Yahoo! Groups

      Get support and

      make friends online.

      .

    • Kathryn Halliday
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
        Just thought I'd point out that you said you would be starting the recommendations next month. If you send them in now, and send it to the prince he will get them and be able to go through them before he becomes king, and have the time to go through them before he gets a whole pile at once.

        ~ Kathryn Halliday

        To: e_rapier@yahoogroups.com
        From: kgarlow@...
        Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:55:32 -0400

        To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
        From: kgormanshaw@...
        Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:11:19 -0700

        > I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the
        > Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've

        Does Baronial representation matter? Are members of baronies getting more awards than others?

        In my experience, backed up by court reporting through the College of Heralds, Yes. Members of baronies get more recognition and more often recognized than members of shires.

        Cainder

        who will be starting yet another list of award rec's for submission next month to the new Magesties.

        Recent Activity

        1
        New MembersVisit Your Group

        Yahoo! Groups
        Auto Enthusiast Zone

        Auto Enthusiast Zone

        Discover auto groups

        Yahoo! Groups
        Join people over 40

        who are finding ways

        to stay in shape.

        Weight Loss Group
        on Yahoo! Groups

        Get support and

        make friends online.

        .

      • Anna B
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
          Speaking as one of the 'others' who has attempted to assist Gerrard in having the very worthy people has has recomended for a number of extremely over-due awards, for the past what oh?.. three?  four reigns?  I can honestly say that this is not an approach which always works.

          Personally, I find this extremely frustrating as our Royals cry out daily for recomendations, to recomend people who are deserving, contributing, wonderful and well liked over and over and over and -nothing-.  After a while you just give up.   And that's not exactly consturctive, or helpful in any respect.

          In service,
          Rusalka the much absent

          ________________________________
          From: thltoymaker@ cogeco.ca
          Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:53:19 -0400

          Hmmm yes mostly the process can be frustrating !!
          Just look at how many times we have made a recommendation for a certain fencer for a Hammer.
          For myself I feel like hmmm how many times do I need to do this?
          I now have a second person in mind for a Hammer. Yet until fencer A gets theirs I cant see that fencer B would even be considered.
          Three of my recommendations have gone through three different Reins without recognition !

          What I guess I'm looking for is a system that allows me to contact a large group so that a large irrefutable recommendation can be given.

          So I propose to create within my own e-mail program a Contact Group of fencers.
          Now unfortunately it can't include anyone we might want to recommend for a Scarlet Banner.
          So since Hammer is the highest level they can easily be included.
          Then add any Scarlet Banners as they already have one !

          So who all has Hammers and who all have Banners ??

          Reply to

          thltoymaker @...

          THANKS !

        • David Whitford
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
            Being the tourist on this list I have a few simple suggestions that you may or may not care for (I handle being told to be quiet and sit out of the way very well). Inquire of incoming Crowns what they look for in award recs, ask how They view particular awards. This can assist a great deal in your writing as insure that you have gathered the information They require. When opportunity presents itself say "hello" and ask if They (or their secretary for such things) if they had recieved and look for Their input and opinions (very useful if They do not agree with you). Politeness and persistence will be your best ally.
            Robert
            (back to war packing)

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            @@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@

            To: E_Rapier@yahoogroup s.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 12, 2009
              A few comments about award recommendations from Ealdormere's outlying barony...

              First off, just because you submitted recommendations to one set of
              Royalty you are not done. Most of the time when a new King and Queen
              step up no list of already proposed individuals does not get passed
              on. They are usually starting from scratch again. So a long history
              of recommending someone often means nothing. The best strategy here
              is to target the new Prince and Princess after Crown Tournament, each
              time. You know it gets on their list then and if for some crazy
              reason they do get a list of previously proposed people they may not
              even look at it. And if the sitting K&Q discussed awards the P&P then
              that name is on both their radars hopefully.

              Second, it is funny to hear that the Southern Shires feel lacking in
              recognition. You want lag time, come to Skraeling Althing. There is
              a marked difference between the amount of time recognition comes to
              members out here than in Southern Ealdormere. There are few factors,
              of course. One is that often K&Q's have a target length of court and
              trim their awards to meet that length, and well we don't see the K&Q
              as often up here. Two, is that we are thinly populated so even if the
              Canton supports someone , you get maybe 12 to 14 recommendations...
              There are others as well that aren't worth detailing, but basically
              the Southern Shires don't have it as bad.

              Third, well if you are not a "core focus", you are not as noticeable
              to the Royalty. If we just look the percentage of authorized armoured
              combatants that recieve a Scarlet Banner or a Thorbjorn's Hammer
              versus the percentages of Rapier combatants or Archers, it becomes
              obvious you are more likely to get a combat award if you are an
              armoured combatant. Heck we had a King that gave an award to every
              armoured combatant that fought at Pennsic, but not a single rapier
              combatant got one... And don't even talk to me about the status of
              historical dance in the A&S community...

              So some food for thought people...
              ~Wilhelm