Re: [E_Rapier] Awards !!

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
      > I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the
      > Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've

      Does Baronial representation matter?  Are members of baronies getting more awards than others?

      > on them. Since I'm a bit tardy in writing them sometimes, it's usually a year or
      > so before I get around to writing in about various people's activities that I

      You're doing better than I am than, even with Gerrard's suggestions & reminders.

      > they submitting them to the correct addresses? (The web site was sending them

      If you're unsure, the mailing address in the Tidings will work.

      > upsetting to see Lady so and so bust her butt for THAT long and not be
      > recognized for her efforts. Or Joe jock turn out an impressive full kit of his
      > own for fencing or fighting in less than a year!

      You can recognize him or her yourself.  Tell them you love what they're doing, give them a gift to acknowledge what they're doing, do it in front of a bunch of people, do as much as you're comfortable doing.

      > I would be interested in knowing how many recommendations their magesties
      > actually got for Winter War. It was very disappointing to hear that only two
      > awards were given. Very disappointing.

      2 does seem like a very small number for what's usually a large event.

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
        To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
        From: kgormanshaw@...
        Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:11:19 -0700
        Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Awards !!

        > I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the
        > Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've

        Does Baronial representation matter? Are members of baronies getting more awards than others?

        In my experience, backed up by court reporting through the College of Heralds, Yes. Members of baronies get more recognition and more often recognized than members of shires.

        Cainder

        who will be starting yet another list of award rec's for submission next month to the new Magesties.

        Recent Activity

        1
        New MembersVisit Your Group

        Yahoo! Groups
        Auto Enthusiast Zone

        Auto Enthusiast Zone

        Discover auto groups

        Yahoo! Groups
        Join people over 40

        who are finding ways

        to stay in shape.

        Weight Loss Group
        on Yahoo! Groups

        Get support and

        make friends online.

        .

      • Kathryn Halliday
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
          Just thought I'd point out that you said you would be starting the recommendations next month. If you send them in now, and send it to the prince he will get them and be able to go through them before he becomes king, and have the time to go through them before he gets a whole pile at once.

          ~ Kathryn Halliday

          To: e_rapier@yahoogroups.com
          From: kgarlow@...
          Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:55:32 -0400

          To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
          From: kgormanshaw@...
          Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:11:19 -0700

          > I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the
          > Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've

          Does Baronial representation matter? Are members of baronies getting more awards than others?

          In my experience, backed up by court reporting through the College of Heralds, Yes. Members of baronies get more recognition and more often recognized than members of shires.

          Cainder

          who will be starting yet another list of award rec's for submission next month to the new Magesties.

          Recent Activity

          1
          New MembersVisit Your Group

          Yahoo! Groups
          Auto Enthusiast Zone

          Auto Enthusiast Zone

          Discover auto groups

          Yahoo! Groups
          Join people over 40

          who are finding ways

          to stay in shape.

          Weight Loss Group
          on Yahoo! Groups

          Get support and

          make friends online.

          .

        • Anna B
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
            Speaking as one of the 'others' who has attempted to assist Gerrard in having the very worthy people has has recomended for a number of extremely over-due awards, for the past what oh?.. three?  four reigns?  I can honestly say that this is not an approach which always works.

            Personally, I find this extremely frustrating as our Royals cry out daily for recomendations, to recomend people who are deserving, contributing, wonderful and well liked over and over and over and -nothing-.  After a while you just give up.   And that's not exactly consturctive, or helpful in any respect.

            In service,
            Rusalka the much absent

            ________________________________
            From: thltoymaker@ cogeco.ca
            Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:53:19 -0400

            Hmmm yes mostly the process can be frustrating !!
            Just look at how many times we have made a recommendation for a certain fencer for a Hammer.
            For myself I feel like hmmm how many times do I need to do this?
            I now have a second person in mind for a Hammer. Yet until fencer A gets theirs I cant see that fencer B would even be considered.
            Three of my recommendations have gone through three different Reins without recognition !

            What I guess I'm looking for is a system that allows me to contact a large group so that a large irrefutable recommendation can be given.

            So I propose to create within my own e-mail program a Contact Group of fencers.
            Now unfortunately it can't include anyone we might want to recommend for a Scarlet Banner.
            So since Hammer is the highest level they can easily be included.
            Then add any Scarlet Banners as they already have one !

            So who all has Hammers and who all have Banners ??

            Reply to

            thltoymaker @...

            THANKS !

          • David Whitford
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
              Being the tourist on this list I have a few simple suggestions that you may or may not care for (I handle being told to be quiet and sit out of the way very well). Inquire of incoming Crowns what they look for in award recs, ask how They view particular awards. This can assist a great deal in your writing as insure that you have gathered the information They require. When opportunity presents itself say "hello" and ask if They (or their secretary for such things) if they had recieved and look for Their input and opinions (very useful if They do not agree with you). Politeness and persistence will be your best ally.
              Robert
              (back to war packing)

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              @@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@

              To: E_Rapier@yahoogroup s.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 12, 2009
                A few comments about award recommendations from Ealdormere's outlying barony...

                First off, just because you submitted recommendations to one set of
                Royalty you are not done. Most of the time when a new King and Queen
                step up no list of already proposed individuals does not get passed
                on. They are usually starting from scratch again. So a long history
                of recommending someone often means nothing. The best strategy here
                is to target the new Prince and Princess after Crown Tournament, each
                time. You know it gets on their list then and if for some crazy
                reason they do get a list of previously proposed people they may not
                even look at it. And if the sitting K&Q discussed awards the P&P then
                that name is on both their radars hopefully.

                Second, it is funny to hear that the Southern Shires feel lacking in
                recognition. You want lag time, come to Skraeling Althing. There is
                a marked difference between the amount of time recognition comes to
                members out here than in Southern Ealdormere. There are few factors,
                of course. One is that often K&Q's have a target length of court and
                trim their awards to meet that length, and well we don't see the K&Q
                as often up here. Two, is that we are thinly populated so even if the
                Canton supports someone , you get maybe 12 to 14 recommendations...
                There are others as well that aren't worth detailing, but basically
                the Southern Shires don't have it as bad.

                Third, well if you are not a "core focus", you are not as noticeable
                to the Royalty. If we just look the percentage of authorized armoured
                combatants that recieve a Scarlet Banner or a Thorbjorn's Hammer
                versus the percentages of Rapier combatants or Archers, it becomes
                obvious you are more likely to get a combat award if you are an
                armoured combatant. Heck we had a King that gave an award to every
                armoured combatant that fought at Pennsic, but not a single rapier
                combatant got one... And don't even talk to me about the status of
                historical dance in the A&S community...

                So some food for thought people...
                ~Wilhelm