Re: [E_Rapier] Blades / Clancy Day

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 9, 2007
      On 4/9/07, argh@... <argh@...> wrote:
      > Saviolo does not refer to blade length, but as Silver liked something in the 30 to 36 inch
      > length and complained about the Italians and their long swords... so Saviolo was likely
      > using something longer than 36.

      Just nitpicking about Silver.

      Silver said: "The best length for perfect teaching of the true fight
      to be used and continued in fence schools, to accord with the true
      statures of all men, are these. The blade to be a yard and an inch for
      men of mean stature, and for men of tall statures, a yard and three or
      four inches, and no more."

      So Silver was actually using 37-40" blades (assuming the same measure
      for a yard).

      --j/5
    • argh@cogeco.ca
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10, 2007
        I can for the time remaining that I am a student acquire--albeit sureptitiously any of the english manuals in pdf
        format.

        Aaron

        > Another source but thelink evades my memory right now
        > is William Wilsons stuff for Tattershall
        > Robert
        > --- John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:
        >
        > > On 4/10/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > The only thing that's clear is that I need to do
        > > some reading on Silver and
        > > > Saviolo...and then catch up with you again. Any
        > > suggestions? Links? Here's
        > > > what I've found on these two...I'd prefer to get
        > > as pure copies as possible.
        > > > I like to translate myself. I understand Silver's
        > > manuals are already in
        > > > English (well, antiquated but readable) however I
        > > must ask if Saviolo's
        > > > manuals were done in Italian or English? Are there
        > > any other places you can
        > > > suggest for me to look?
        > >
        > > Saviolo was done in English. The transcriptions you
        > > have found are the
        > > most easily accessable but you can also find
        > > reproductions of both.
        > >

        > http://www.amazon.com/Elizabethan-Fencing-Manuals-Giacomo-Grassi/dp/0820111074
        > > contains Digrassi, Saviolo and Silver.
        > >
        > > It's worth it if you want to read the originals.
        > >
        > > Chivalry Bookshelf has an interpretation of Silver
        > > done by Steven Hand
        > > that includes a trascription. It's not bad, but read
        > > the original
        > > before you take Hand's word as gospel .
        > >
        > > Likewise, a friend of mine is working on an
        > > interpretation of Saviolo
        > > for CB but I don't know when it is expected to be
        > > finished. If you are
        > > interested, I can put you in touch with him.
        > >
        > > --j

        > Need Mail bonding?

        Aaron Miedema
        Lente autem non celer sum.