Re: [E_Rapier] Awards !!

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2009

      > The Order of Thorbjorn's Hammer has a discussion group.
      >
      > So what about creating one ??? Perhaps a Scarlet Banner Group

      The OTH has a discussion group because it's a polling order and we're supposed to offer our opinions to TRM.  TRM are not required to listen to those opinions.  The Scarlet Banner isn't required to submit opinions.

      Everyone can submit opinions on every possible award, or even just a general "He's a great guy!"  I don't know why Gerrard's many efforts didn't have the results he was hoping for.

      I'm not sure if discussing awards here would help, or make people uncomfortable.  One thing that might help, make sure you know the names of your fellow fencers, so you can think "Hey, Marshal John really helped me get my armour up to snuff to pass inspection!"  And you know it was John, not just "uhh, that dude, y'know, the Marshal one".

      Eyrny
      who really needs to go to bed
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2009

        I have to largely concur with what Eyrny says. Awards are given at the whim
        of the Crown. Admittedly, the greater the weight of recommendations They
        receive the more likely it is for the person to get the award. A couple of
        factors enter into this. Remember that recommendations don't always carry
        over from Crown to Crown. If nothing happens over a reign or two, you might
        want to resend your recommendation. Also, the Crown may be waiting to give
        the award at an appropriate venue like the recipients home Canton or
        Barony/Shire. I received both my Hammer and Orion in Eoforwic, and I think
        it's because it was the Canton I was most associated with and also where a
        lot of the recommendations came from.

        Somebody complained to me recently that they didn't think enough archers had
        been given Hammers and that there were deserving archers who had only been
        given their SB. I asked him to send me a list of people he thought were
        deserving of Hammers and why he thought so. I promised him I would submit
        his recommendations to the Hammer list so these gentles could be discussed.
        The same thing can apply to rapier. We have a number of fencers with the
        OTH, including yourself Gerrard, and other fencers can seek out the rapier
        Hammers and give them recommendations. Just be sure you also give them your
        rational for why the person should get the award. Admittedly, it's up to
        them whether they think the person is worthy or not, but you might bring
        some things to their attention that they hadn't noticed or considered on
        their own. Again, it all boils down to what the Crown thinks, but it is one
        way of getting people on the radar. I've seen discussions on the Hammer List
        where it's been determined that a person isn't ready for a Hammer yet but
        they are ready for an SB and thus the recommendation is made. It's still
        something. It's the sort of problem that can be attacked from multiple
        directions, sort of a pincer movement of recommendations (can you tell I
        have tactics on the brain as of late?).

        Again, what Eyrny says is very true. Knowledge is key, as in knowing who to
        recommend (what is their SCA name/title, where are they from etc). Also, how
        you phrase the recommendation is important. You must give as much weight to
        your argument as you can while remaining honest of course. You have to sell
        the person you're recommending by providing a fairly comprehensive list of
        reasons they should receive the award. "Joe of Trinovantia Nova is a good
        fencer" won't cut it.

        That's all I can think of for now. I'm off to bed.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
          Hmmm yes mostly the process can be frustrating !!
          Just look at how many times we have made a recommendation for a certain fencer for a Hammer.
          For myself I feel like hmmm how many times do I need to do this?
          I now have a second person in mind for a Hammer. Yet until fencer A gets theirs I cant see that fencer B would even be considered.
          Three of my recommendations have gone through three different Reins without recognition !

          What I guess I'm looking for is a system that allows me to contact a large group so that a large irrefutable recommendation can be given.

          So I propose to create within my own e-mail program a Contact Group of fencers.
          Now unfortunately it can't include anyone we might want to recommend for a Scarlet Banner.
          So since Hammer is the highest level they can easily be included.
          Then add any Scarlet Banners as they already have one !

          So who all has Hammers and who all have Banners ??

          Reply to

          thltoymaker @...

          THANKS !

        • Scott Jones
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
            There have been many recomendations made for awards, but they don't seem to be getting through most the time. I recieved my AOA at Winter War last weekend, but apparently there were several people who had been recomended for awards that aren't getting them. we're not sure if it's just an e-mail glitch or what?

            Lord Dalin Caulder :)

            To: ;

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
              So there also needs to be a way of making certain that these recomendations
              are making thier way to Thier Majesties !!
              ** If you have Outlook Express **
              Under Tools find
              Request Read receipt.
              click on that
              a check mark should appear.
              Now the person does not have to grant that request ... but perhaps it will help.
              Also send same reccomendation to Thier Highnesses Then again when they are Majesties... etc...

              There have been many recommendations made for awards, but they don't seem to be getting through most the time. I received my AOA at Winter War last weekend, but apparently there were several people who had been recommended for awards that aren't getting them. we're not sure if it's just an e-mail glitch or what?

              Lord Dalin Caulder :)

              To: ;

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
                Ohhh yes congrats and again long overdue in my mind !!

                To: ;

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
                  > I now have a second person in mind for a Hammer.  Yet until fencer A gets theirs
                  > I cant see that fencer B would even be considered.

                  You can submit both.  You never know why fencer A didn't get it, but whatever stopped their majesties for A doesn't mean they won't do B.  For all you know, A shares a name of some person TRM  HATED growing up, and they can't see by that fact to give him an award, but maybe they loved someone named B and will do that in an instant.

                  >   Three of my recommendations have gone through three different Reins  without
                  > recognition !

                  That does get frustrating.  You could consider presenting the recommendation in person.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
                    Dearest Gerrard,

                    I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've had to make recommendations for up to 4-6 reigns before I see any kind of action on them. Since I'm a bit tardy in writing them sometimes, it's usually a year or so before I get around to writing in about various people's activities that I see and am told about. That may very well be part of the issue...are people remembering and actually following through with writing recommendations? Are they submitting them to the correct addresses? (The web site was sending them into the ether for almost a year there, without anyone knowing!) It's very upsetting to see Lady so and so bust her butt for THAT long and not be recognized for her efforts. Or Joe jock turn out an impressive full kit of his own for fencing or fighting in less than a year!

                    I have developed a bit of a system though, that may help to make things move more quickly. I have discussed my concerns regarding the shires with a number of barons and baronesses in the Kingdom. Everyone I have talked to have suggested that I copy them on recommendations that I make to their Magesties. And now, I do so. I can't say that I've really seen it make any kind of difference in any award at Grant level or higher but I have noticed that it makes the AoA and Maiden's Heart/Scarlet Banner/Orion level awards be given out faster.

                    I would be interested in knowing how many recommendations their magesties actually got for Winter War. It was very disappointing to hear that only two awards were given. Very disappointing.

                    Cainder

                    Shires...the undiscovered countries

                    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

                    MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...

                    Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere

                    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Justus, Fortis, Patiens - Per chevron argent and sable, two sprigs of witch hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

                    To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
                      Hi, I am going to give you another suggestion, Pass on the recommendation to others who might be able to assist you in helping to recognize deserving people. There is nothing that says that you can't send a recommendation to other people who are in the SCA or to peers to have them add your voice to theirs. Dont' send letters that says me to or one letter with a bunch of people signing it. The crown likes to see seperate letters of recommendation from each person sending them. My husband and I often send seperate letters for the same person, because we truely beleive that they deserve what it is we are recommending them for.

                      I agree landed baron and baroness can also be helpful. I would love to have someone cc me on a recommendation for a fencer, I would most likely agree and send in one of my own.

                      Aibhilin

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
                        > I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the
                        > Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've

                        Does Baronial representation matter?  Are members of baronies getting more awards than others?

                        > on them. Since I'm a bit tardy in writing them sometimes, it's usually a year or
                        > so before I get around to writing in about various people's activities that I

                        You're doing better than I am than, even with Gerrard's suggestions & reminders.

                        > they submitting them to the correct addresses? (The web site was sending them

                        If you're unsure, the mailing address in the Tidings will work.

                        > upsetting to see Lady so and so bust her butt for THAT long and not be
                        > recognized for her efforts. Or Joe jock turn out an impressive full kit of his
                        > own for fencing or fighting in less than a year!

                        You can recognize him or her yourself.  Tell them you love what they're doing, give them a gift to acknowledge what they're doing, do it in front of a bunch of people, do as much as you're comfortable doing.

                        > I would be interested in knowing how many recommendations their magesties
                        > actually got for Winter War. It was very disappointing to hear that only two
                        > awards were given. Very disappointing.

                        2 does seem like a very small number for what's usually a large event.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 10, 2009
                          To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                          From: kgormanshaw@...
                          Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:11:19 -0700

                          > I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the
                          > Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've

                          Does Baronial representation matter? Are members of baronies getting more awards than others?

                          In my experience, backed up by court reporting through the College of Heralds, Yes. Members of baronies get more recognition and more often recognized than members of shires.

                          Cainder

                          who will be starting yet another list of award rec's for submission next month to the new Magesties.

                          Recent Activity

                          1
                          New MembersVisit Your Group

                          Yahoo! Groups
                          Auto Enthusiast Zone

                          Auto Enthusiast Zone

                          Discover auto groups

                          Yahoo! Groups
                          Join people over 40

                          who are finding ways

                          to stay in shape.

                          Weight Loss Group
                          on Yahoo! Groups

                          Get support and

                          make friends online.

                          .

                        • Kathryn Halliday
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
                            Just thought I'd point out that you said you would be starting the recommendations next month. If you send them in now, and send it to the prince he will get them and be able to go through them before he becomes king, and have the time to go through them before he gets a whole pile at once.

                            ~ Kathryn Halliday

                            To: e_rapier@yahoogroups.com
                            From: kgarlow@...
                            Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:55:32 -0400

                            To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                            From: kgormanshaw@...
                            Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:11:19 -0700

                            > I too am frustrated and concerned with the state of recognitions within the
                            > Shires (specifically). Having no baronial representation, I have found that I've

                            Does Baronial representation matter? Are members of baronies getting more awards than others?

                            In my experience, backed up by court reporting through the College of Heralds, Yes. Members of baronies get more recognition and more often recognized than members of shires.

                            Cainder

                            who will be starting yet another list of award rec's for submission next month to the new Magesties.

                            Recent Activity

                            1
                            New MembersVisit Your Group

                            Yahoo! Groups
                            Auto Enthusiast Zone

                            Auto Enthusiast Zone

                            Discover auto groups

                            Yahoo! Groups
                            Join people over 40

                            who are finding ways

                            to stay in shape.

                            Weight Loss Group
                            on Yahoo! Groups

                            Get support and

                            make friends online.

                            .

                          • Anna B
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
                              Speaking as one of the 'others' who has attempted to assist Gerrard in having the very worthy people has has recomended for a number of extremely over-due awards, for the past what oh?.. three?  four reigns?  I can honestly say that this is not an approach which always works.

                              Personally, I find this extremely frustrating as our Royals cry out daily for recomendations, to recomend people who are deserving, contributing, wonderful and well liked over and over and over and -nothing-.  After a while you just give up.   And that's not exactly consturctive, or helpful in any respect.

                              In service,
                              Rusalka the much absent

                              ________________________________

                              @@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@

                              MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@sympatico. ca

                              To: E_Rapier@yahoogroup s.com

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 11, 2009
                                Being the tourist on this list I have a few simple suggestions that you may or may not care for (I handle being told to be quiet and sit out of the way very well). Inquire of incoming Crowns what they look for in award recs, ask how They view particular awards. This can assist a great deal in your writing as insure that you have gathered the information They require. When opportunity presents itself say "hello" and ask if They (or their secretary for such things) if they had recieved and look for Their input and opinions (very useful if They do not agree with you). Politeness and persistence will be your best ally.
                                Robert
                                (back to war packing)

                                ____________ _________ _________ __

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 12, 2009
                                  A few comments about award recommendations from Ealdormere's outlying barony...

                                  First off, just because you submitted recommendations to one set of
                                  Royalty you are not done. Most of the time when a new King and Queen
                                  step up no list of already proposed individuals does not get passed
                                  on. They are usually starting from scratch again. So a long history
                                  of recommending someone often means nothing. The best strategy here
                                  is to target the new Prince and Princess after Crown Tournament, each
                                  time. You know it gets on their list then and if for some crazy
                                  reason they do get a list of previously proposed people they may not
                                  even look at it. And if the sitting K&Q discussed awards the P&P then
                                  that name is on both their radars hopefully.

                                  Second, it is funny to hear that the Southern Shires feel lacking in
                                  recognition. You want lag time, come to Skraeling Althing. There is
                                  a marked difference between the amount of time recognition comes to
                                  members out here than in Southern Ealdormere. There are few factors,
                                  of course. One is that often K&Q's have a target length of court and
                                  trim their awards to meet that length, and well we don't see the K&Q
                                  as often up here. Two, is that we are thinly populated so even if the
                                  Canton supports someone , you get maybe 12 to 14 recommendations...
                                  There are others as well that aren't worth detailing, but basically
                                  the Southern Shires don't have it as bad.

                                  Third, well if you are not a "core focus", you are not as noticeable
                                  to the Royalty. If we just look the percentage of authorized armoured
                                  combatants that recieve a Scarlet Banner or a Thorbjorn's Hammer
                                  versus the percentages of Rapier combatants or Archers, it becomes
                                  obvious you are more likely to get a combat award if you are an
                                  armoured combatant. Heck we had a King that gave an award to every
                                  armoured combatant that fought at Pennsic, but not a single rapier
                                  combatant got one... And don't even talk to me about the status of
                                  historical dance in the A&S community...

                                  So some food for thought people...
                                  ~Wilhelm