Identifying Minors on the List

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2009
      > Topic 3: Identifying Minors on the List
      >
      > There is a move at Society level to come up with some means of quickly
      > identifying minors who are below the age of medical consent on the list
      > field should accident or injury occur. The SEM, the DSRM and the KEM have
      > all asked for input on finding a way of doing this. I asked for ideas that I
      > could submit to the KEM for discussion. It was noted that the medical age of
      > consent in Ontario was 16 so only 14 and 15 year olds would have to be

      The chirurgeons, in attempting to follow both SCA and legal requirements, should know of anyone under 18.

      I think the simplest is to remind all minors that they have to TELL people helping them in the event of an injury that they are under 18 and WHO is allowed by their parent/guardian to approve treatment.

      If the person requiring treatment is unconscious there is no need to get approval before starting treatment.

      If the minor wants to be dishonest and not admit to their age, they can just as easily not wear something that is designed to communicate that fact.  They're fairly likely to forget they're supposed to put on a marker showing they are under-age, but have a decent chance of remembering to mention it when they get hurt.  Plus, the chirurgeon should ask.  (This whole topic started when a chirurgeon was dealing with combatants at an inter-kingdom event and hadn't realized minors could be on the field, the chirurgeon assumed the patient was 18+ because it would be true in their home area.)

      Eyrny
      marshal and usually a chirurgeon (currently expired)