Flex Daggers / 2 diff lengths

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2009
      From Gerrard: One of the fencers in our group just ordered two Alchem Flex daggers.
      So I was checking them out as I will be replacing my own soon.

      Thing is these daggers supposedly come in two lengths ;
      see copied and pasted from web site ( Below )

      When ordering main gauche dagger components be sure to specify (PayPal provides for comments to seller)
      a.. the piercework design ('M'ercenary, or 'P'appenheimer),

      b.. the finish ('B'lack or 'G'ray).

      c.. If not straight, the shape for the guard ('C' curved, 'S' serpentine).

      d.. If 'S' serpentine, will the dagger be used in the left or right hand?

      e.. blade length from 15 to 18 inches,

      f.. If not specified, the defaults are pappenheimer, gray, straight, 18 inches.

      Anyone play with these ??
      Durability ?
      Anyone play with the 18 inchers ???
      General opinions welcome.

      Oh Ya Winter War !! Winter War !! Winter War !! Winter War !!

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2009
        We have a couple that we play with down in Kingston, although the baldes are on Darkwood hilts. The Sepentine Daggers
        are likely going to be very uncomfortable in the right hand--if the Darkwood hilts are any indication.

        I generally find the straight quillons far more useful, even better if you can get them bent forward.

        Ours are 15" if memory serves and while servicable they are a bit long to do the late 16th / early 17th century stuff
        really well. But they do proffer a nice wall to hide behind.

        > From Gerrard: One of the fencers in our group just ordered two Alchem Flex daggers.
        > So I was checking them out as I will be replacing my own soon.
        >
        > Thing is these daggers supposedly come in two lengths ;
        > see copied and pasted from web site ( Below )
        >

        > When ordering main gauche dagger components be sure to specify (PayPal provides for comments to seller)
        > a.. the piercework design ('M'ercenary, or 'P'appenheimer),
        >
        > b.. the finish ('B'lack or 'G'ray).
        >
        > c.. If not straight, the shape for the guard ('C' curved, 'S' serpentine).
        >
        > d.. If 'S' serpentine, will the dagger be used in the left or right hand?
        >
        > e.. blade length from 15 to 18 inches,
        >
        > f.. If not specified, the defaults are pappenheimer, gray, straight, 18 inches.
        >
        > Anyone play with these ??
        > Durability ?
        > Anyone play with the 18 inchers ???
        > General opinions welcome.
        >
        > Oh Ya Winter War !! Winter War !! Winter War !! Winter War !!

        Aaron Miedema
        Lentus autem non celer sum.
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2009
          18" are the default. If you've played against me with daggers, that's
          what I used.
          Their hilts are just fine. We have a couple floating around.
          They are not perfectly period, but they are perfectly servicable.

          --j