RE: [E_Rapier] Valentines Day Massacre / Kalamazoo / Midrealm

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
      Here is the rule for blade grasping as currently written:

      Fighters may choose to grasp blades, rather than parry. If the blade that is
      grasped moves or twists in the grasping hand, that hand is deemed disabled.
      Grasping techniques shall be used only to temporarily immobilize a blade,
      not to bend it or wrest it from the opponent's grip. Prolonged wrestling
      over a grasped blade is sufficient grounds for calling a "hold" and forcing
      release of the blade.

      My understanding of the current convention we play with is a minimum of time
      grasping a blade, sort of a "catch and release" program. Again, this is a
      convention and there is nothing in the rules that prevents slightly longer
      times in the grasp, as long as the above rule is followed. Also remember,
      the rule does not specify how much the blade has to move in the hand to
      disable it. I interpret this to be any movement, but this is something else
      we could discuss at the Moot at Winter War.

      Albrecht, KRM

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
        Also, all of the rules can be found in the files section of this Yahoo
        Group.

        If you can't access them let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy in Word.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
          Gerrard.. Yes ... I agree ... mostly I was just caught off guard.
          I am used to the catch and release method we tend to use in Ealdormere.
          My personal opinion ....
          ( Note Opinion thank you ;-) )
          Is that a full second should be more than long enough... if the blade being held isn't twisted within that time frame and the person who holds the blade hasn't defeated you in that time ...well... need I say more .. ??
          Just an opinion...... !
          It was truly a lot of fun... except for the sore shoulder.... which feels much better now... !