Valentines Day Massacre / Kalamazoo / Midrealm

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
      From Gerrard: Still hurting from yesterdays fencing in Kalamazoo. / Michigan
      A three hour drive !!
      Weather was not the best ( 6 cars in the ditches ).

      Loads of fencers ... probably 50 to 60 fencers.
      It was interesting to note that every fencer was playing with long swords.
      Most using the double wide.
      One person using case of very very long sword.. !!
      Some amazing outfits ...
      *** Also there interpretation on grasping a blade seems to differ. ***
      In that they will hold it for up to say three seconds or until you twist your blade.
      ( That took some getting used to. )
      I definitely appreciate that we do not do this !
      It just felt more like wrestling than like fencing!
      They were two competitions:
      5 Man melee's. ( Which I did not enter )
      And a Reverse Bear Pit ( Which I did enter )
      Which some old fool won by a single point. ;-)
      So just be aware that there are some unique differences from Kingdom to Kingdom.
      Now where did I put the Advil... ??

      How many days till Winter War... ?

    • Henrietta Verwey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
        Sounded like you had fun, minus the weather.
        In the case of holding the blade, to be specific, what are the rules here in
        Ealdormere?

        Thora V

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
          Unless it's changed, you can hold on to their blade but if it moves in
          your hand, you loose the hand (and arm).
          The length of time is just a convention.
          Personally, I'm torn. I think it is a realistic action, but encourages
          unrealistic fencing. If you grab my blade, I should hit you with
          something else, as I try to free it.
          --j

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
            Here is the rule for blade grasping as currently written:

            Fighters may choose to grasp blades, rather than parry. If the blade that is
            grasped moves or twists in the grasping hand, that hand is deemed disabled.
            Grasping techniques shall be used only to temporarily immobilize a blade,
            not to bend it or wrest it from the opponent's grip. Prolonged wrestling
            over a grasped blade is sufficient grounds for calling a "hold" and forcing
            release of the blade.

            My understanding of the current convention we play with is a minimum of time
            grasping a blade, sort of a "catch and release" program. Again, this is a
            convention and there is nothing in the rules that prevents slightly longer
            times in the grasp, as long as the above rule is followed. Also remember,
            the rule does not specify how much the blade has to move in the hand to
            disable it. I interpret this to be any movement, but this is something else
            we could discuss at the Moot at Winter War.

            Albrecht, KRM

            _____

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
              Also, all of the rules can be found in the files section of this Yahoo
              Group.

              If you can't access them let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy in Word.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
                Gerrard.. Yes ... I agree ... mostly I was just caught off guard.
                I am used to the catch and release method we tend to use in Ealdormere.
                My personal opinion ....
                ( Note Opinion thank you ;-) )
                Is that a full second should be more than long enough... if the blade being held isn't twisted within that time frame and the person who holds the blade hasn't defeated you in that time ...well... need I say more .. ??
                Just an opinion...... !
                It was truly a lot of fun... except for the sore shoulder.... which feels much better now... !