924Re: Next year's KWAR

  • Yvonne Rogers
    Nov 23, 2008
      Hi All, Throwing in my two cents,

      Having been to my first KWAR, the one in Kentucky, that was extremely
      easy to get to, I can honestly say its something everyone who enjoys
      rapier combat should attend.

      It is really great to read of the amount of enthusiasim for there to
      be a KWAR here and volunteers willing to step up. I include myself
      in that group of volunteers

      I spoke with serveral people at KWAR 2008 about past KWAR's and to
      potential response if it were to be held in Ontario. There was a lot
      positive response if it were held in a city. Apparently past KWAR's
      thta were camping events did not work.

      Things that seem to matter to those who attend, the site is easy to
      get to be either plane, train or automoblie. The event site and
      accomadations are directly attached or adjacent to each other.
      Alternate food sources and entertainment sources are readibly
      available for the evenings.

      Considering our neighbouring Kingdoms, Athelmarc, Middle and East, I
      would suspect that either Windsor, Hamilton, Toronto or Ottawa would
      be ideal cities to plan to hold a KWAR. I'm willing to search for
      sites in Toronto, if others are willing to look in the other cities.

      Also, timing is important to think about. KWAR tends to fall into the
      November time slot, so as not to interfer with
      Corinations..etc..Universities and college residences are still in
      use. It's also important to keep the American Thanksgiving in mind.

      I support a bid for 2010, the 2009 economic enviroment is neither
      suitable for our friends to the south, nor to any potential profit.

      If this is something the Ealdomere Rapier Community truly wants to
      do, we need an Autocrate to spear head the efforts. Who wants the
      job? I'm willing to do it, or even Co-Autocrate, so long as those
      who are volunteering are dedicated.

      YIS
      Jocelyne Roget de Cranewall

      --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Wyatt" <kgarlow@...> wrote:

      > I'm afraid that the KWAR 09 problem is not one that Ealdormere is
      in a
      > position to solve. It would be nice to be able to play white knight
      but it's
      > just not logistically possible. Would it be such a bad thing to
      have it take
      > a year off? Perhaps it would make the following year's event that
      much more
      > of interest to participants? And in this time of distressed
      economies, it
      > would give everyone that much more time to prepare.
      >
      > Cainder
      >
      > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      > MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
      > SCA -Bantiarna Cainder ingen hui Chatharnaig
      > Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
      > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      > Justus, Fortis, Patiens - Per chevron argent and sable, two sprigs
      of witch
      > hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.
      >

      > >From: argh@...
      > >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR
      > >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:46:44 -0500
      > >
      > >Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use
      next year,
      > >I'll be defending in June and then moving
      > >onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston,
      Toronto, K-W,
      > >Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
      > >that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for
      possibilities
      > >when I find out where I land.
      > >
      > >A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR
      09
      > >problem.
      > >
      > > > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I
      believe that I
      > >was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
      > > > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run
      a trial
      > >event, that was not intended.
      > > >
      > > > aibhilin

      Academe style