      From: EVE HARRIS <evedave1@...>
      Date: 01-30-2014 8:42 AM (GMT-05:00)
      To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [E_Rapier] Classes at Winter War

      Greetings!

      I'm going to be teaching two classes at Winter War that might be of interest to the fencing community. Here are the class descriptions:

      Class 1: Late Period Men's Garb - 1550-1600

      This class will consist of a general overview of men's fashion in the second half of the 16th c. It will examine the various elements of men's costume and how they go together. The class will refer to period portraiture, illustration and extant period costuming books.

      Class 2: To the Hilt: An Examination of the Renaissance Sword Hilt 1460-1600

      This class will explore the development of the sword hilt, from the simple cross guard of the middle ages to the complex guards of the late 16th century. It will look at the various additions to the simple hilt and attempt to put them into context in terms of period swordplay, economics, and society.

      I'm hoping the classes will take place between 12 pm and 2 pm so that if people want to take a break from fencing and have some lunch they can attend. I'll post when I know the exact times.