1971Re: [E_Rapier] Re: St. Val Day R.M. I.C. ??

    Jan 25, 2011
      Hi All,

      Yes, I'll be running the tourney although since we have a whole
      weekend, I'm sure we can run more than one.

      The planned Tournament uses a format inspired by King/Champion (here
      called King/Challenger) rules used in the Belgian fencing guilds at
      least as early as 1600 AD. I'm stealing it from the tournaments run at
      the Longpoint 2011 WMA event I was at last weekend. It is an
      interesting variant on a bear pit.

      Fighters will be assigned “lots” (position in line) based on something
      I have yet to decide. It might be random, it might be related to
      precedence or it might be for the top players in a preliminary round.
      I've not decided.

      The fighter with the #1 lot is the first “king.” The #2 fighter is
      the first “challenger.” The winner of that bout remains/becomes the
      King for the next bout. The loser goes to the end of the line and
      loses one
      venny. This process continues with the bout-final king always
      remaining in the ring and the loser going to the end of the line. When
      a fighter has expended all of his vennies he is eliminated from the
      tournament.

      So, what's a venny? It's basically a life. Each fighter starts with
      two (2) vennies. Any fighter to remain King for four (4) consecutive
      bouts or longer receives an additional venny. Up to two (2) additional
      vennies total, per fighter, may be earned in this way. No fighter will
      have more than four (4) vennies (do the math).

      Winner of the Tournament. The winner of the final bout (between the
      last remaining Challenger and the King) is the winner of the
      tournament. The loser of the final bout is second place. The loser of
      the second-to-last bout is third place. So you can see that it is very
      adventageous to be in that last spot. If, for example, no one manages
      to get an extra Venny, the person is the last spot is guaranteed
      second place.

      Traditionally, the initial order was based on some sort of ranking.
      Given that we want people to be able to fence a lot, the order for
      this will probably be determined by some initial round robin type
      thing and perhaps your starting Vennys will be based on your abilities
      as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
      fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
      fair.

      --Giovanni