Info Sharing: About AMC and Path to USAMO

  • Tony Qin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
      As you may have heard, two Chinese high-school graduates of EVHS have been admitted to MIT this year (Congratulations to them!). Both of them have been qualified for USAMO.

      While many people in this community are shooting the breeze on the exciting news, people keep asking questions, such as "What does it mean by 'being qualified for USAMO' ? ", "What are AMC and the path to USAMO?"

      First of all, some acronyms:
          MAA:         Mathematical Association of America
          AMC:         Americans Mathematics Competitions
          AIME:        American Invitational Mathematics Examination
          USAJMO:  USA Junior Mathematical Olympiad
          USAMO:   USA Mathematical Olympiad

      MAA organizes AMC, which consists of a series of math contests, including AMC 8, AMC 10, AMC 12, USAJMO, and USAMO.

      AMC 8 is intended for G6 ~ G8 students. 2013 AMC 8 will be held on Tuesday, November 19, 2013. In fact, anyone who are G8 or under may take AMC 8. I heard that a boy of age 8 have even taken it before. AMC 10 is intended for G9 ~ G10 students. Anyone who are G10 or under may take AMC 10. AMC 12 is intended for G11 ~ G12 students. Anyone who are G12 or under may take AMC 12.

      AIME, USAJMO, and USAMO are invitational. That is, you cannot take any of them unless being invited by MAA.  Such invitation will be based on your previous AMC10 or AMC 12 scores.

      The normal path to USAMO is: AMC 8 ==> AMC 10 ==> AMC 12 ==> AIME ==> USAJMO ==> USAMO. But you may jump forward by skipping some of them.

      To be invited for AIME, the student must score 120+ or finish in the top 2.5% of AMC 10, or 100+ or finish in the top 5% of AMC 12. In 2013, 275 of the top scoring AMC 12 participants (based on a weighted average) are invited to take the USAMO. In 2013, 235 of the top scoring AMC 10 participants (based on a weighted average) are invited to take the USAJMO.

      "Being qualified for USAMO" means you have been invited by MAA for the contest based on the above-mentioned criteria.

      Just for your information. You are certainly welcome to contact me for more details. However, more authoritative and detailed info can be found at MAA (www.maa.org).

      Tony Qin

    • bo guan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2013
        Hi Tony,

        I'm very interested about this topic. I have 2 sons, one is 12 yrs old, coming to 6th grade, another one is 10 yrs old ,coming to 5th grade. How can we enroll the AMC8 of 2013? And is there any tuition could help them to improve and prepare AMC8?

        About Thinktank in our community, is there anybody has any experience on it? I'm planning to enroll my elder son to the VIP program.

        Thanks a lot!

        amy

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
          Hi Amy,

          On AMC 8 tests, first, check with the local public school. If your sons' public school is a sponsor for it, better to go with the school. Otherwise, you may go with Standford University, which is the nearest sponsor to us.

           On AMC 8 preparation/training courses, I haven't seen any effective and systematic ones in the Evergreen area. By saying "effective", I mean "以点代面,举一反三" (mastering general methodology through solving specific math problems). Also, students can systematically improve their skills in L.A.P. (Logical reasoning, Analytic thinking, and Problem solving).

          AMC 8 is a 40-minute test of 25 problems. Although AMC problems are most not taught in the public school's math curriculum, AMC  itself is a smooth extension of the public school math. That is, AMC  training and participation will surely help children to reinforce basic math concepts and further develop their skills in L.A.P.

          After coming up with this AMC topic, I received a few further queries. Now I am planning to organize a team for AMC 8, provide some training for the team, and then work with Stanford directly for the team to participate in this year's AMC 8 on 11/19/2013. Please stay tuned.

          Regards,

          Tony

          To: EVERGREENJECTS@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
            thank you so much for these details information! please keep me on your post about the further information in the future.

            Fei is your wife?