Fw: [QuimbyOakPTSA] Re: FREE Public Archaeology Event for Children and Families - Sunday, January 27th

  • wang bo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2013

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Smita Gudur Kulkarni <skulrb@...>
      To: "quimbyoakptsa@yahoogroups.com" <quimbyoakptsa@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:50 PM
      Subject: [QuimbyOakPTSA] Re: FREE Public Archaeology Event for Children and Families - Sunday, January 27th

      To whom it may concern,

      Sunday, January 27th, Stanford University, History San José, and the Chinese Historical and Cultural Project will be hosting a Public Archaeology Event that is FREE and open to the general public. This hands-on event is designed to introduce children from age 4 to 12 and their families to archaeology. Children will participate in “mock” excavations and study authentic archaeological artifacts to learn about San Jose’s hidden history. It is a fun and educational event for the entire family!

      The event is part of an ongoing series of programs organized by the Market Street Chinatown Archaeology Project, a research and education partnership among the Stanford Archaeology Center, History San José, and the Chinese Historical and Cultural Project. This project is sponsored by the Stanford Archaeology Center, the Department of Anthropology, the Haas Center for Public Service, Asian American Studies and the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education at Stanford University, as well as History San José.

      Public Archaeology Event
      When:  Sunday, January 27, 2013, 11:00AM to 3:00PM
      Where:  History San José’s Peralta Adobe and Fallon House Historic Site
          175 West Saint John Street
          San Jose, CA 95110

      In addition to the Public Archaeology Event, there will be a display of Ohlone artifacts and activities for children about the “First Californians” at the Peralta Adobe and Fallon House Historic Site on January 27th. Tours of the Peralta Adobe and Fallon House will also be available during the day with a special tour for children at 2:00 PM. Prices for the tours are $8 for adults, $5 for seniors and students with a valid ID card, and $5 for the children’s tour.

      Could you help us publicize this event to the members of the Evergreen PTA Council? I have attached a flyer that can be forwarded via email or printed. Please, forward this flyer to anyone who might be interested in our event. Should you have any questions about the event or about the Market Street Chinatown Archaeology Project and the work that we do, you are welcome to contact me (mskane@...).

      We have an additional Public Archaeology Event scheduled this winter, on Sunday, February 24, 2013, if you are unable to attend this event. If you would like additional information about that or future events, please contact me (mskane@...).

      Thank you very much for your time, and we hope to see you at our event on the 27th!

      Sincerely,

      Megan S. Kane
      Collections Manager
      Market Street Chinatown Archaeology Project
      Stanford Archaeology Center
      Department of Anthropology
      Stanford University
      mskane@...

      Market Street Chinatown Archaeology Project
      http://marketstreet.stanford.edu/
      History San Jose
      http://www.historysanjose.org/

      <Public Arch event 1-27-2013.pdf>