Need help with ETX-125

  • charlesclinton2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
      As an ETX-125 owner and user myself, I was helping a friend get a new
      ETX up and running. This scope was purchased in 2002 or 2003, but was
      just recently pulled from the box and setup (long story).

      Anyway, the new scope seems to have a problem with the hard stops. I
      can rotate the AZ axis CCW until it hits the hard stop and then I
      rotate the tube about 120 degrees to point north. However, when we
      were aligning the ETX using easy alignment, the scope started turning
      clockwise and at about 120 degrees from north, I heard the motors bind
      up and the scope stopped moving. I unlocked the az axis and rotated
      the scope by hand and it seems that the scope can only rotate over an
      arc of ~240-360 degrees (definitely not 630 as stated in the manual).
      It doesn't feel exactly the same on the CW hard stop as the CCW hard
      stop, but the scope definitely will not move in the CW direction after
      hitting a point.

      I compared this behavior with my own ETX-125 at home and there is
      definitely something wrong with the new ETX that was just unboxed.

      I removed the bottom plate from the new ETX to take a look inside and
      did not see anything different than my own scope.

      I'm not sure how to pull the AZ/RA axis apart. Do I need to take the
      top screw out (the screw that you tighten to lock the AZ/RA axis?)?
      When I tried this, it felt like I was turning some of the wiring going
      up through the hole in the AZ bearing and I was afraid to turn it more.

      This scope is out of warranty since it sat on the shelf for so long.

      Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Charles
    • Gregg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        http://www.weasner.com/etx/techtips/inside125.html
        Please take the title of the page and the advice at the bottom of
        the page to heart.
        Weasner's site has always been the best source of ETX knowledge, and
        Dr. Clay is the authority on Meade tips and techniques. I think
        your friend should spend the money to have a factory repair or
        adjustment.

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "charlesclinton2003"
        <charlesclinton2003@...> wrote:

        > As an ETX-125 owner and user myself, I was helping a friend get a
        new
        > ETX up and running. This scope was purchased in 2002 or 2003, but
        was
        > just recently pulled from the box and setup (long story).
        >
        > Anyway, the new scope seems to have a problem with the hard stops.
        > can rotate the AZ axis CCW until it hits the hard stop and then I
        > rotate the tube about 120 degrees to point north. However, when we
        > were aligning the ETX using easy alignment, the scope started
        turning
        > clockwise and at about 120 degrees from north, I heard the motors
        bind
        > up and the scope stopped moving. I unlocked the az axis and rotated
        > the scope by hand and it seems that the scope can only rotate over
        an
        > arc of ~240-360 degrees (definitely not 630 as stated in the
        manual).
        > It doesn't feel exactly the same on the CW hard stop as the CCW
        hard
        > stop, but the scope definitely will not move in the CW direction
        after
        > hitting a point.
        >
        > I compared this behavior with my own ETX-125 at home and there is
        > definitely something wrong with the new ETX that was just unboxed.
        >
        > I removed the bottom plate from the new ETX to take a look inside
        and
        > did not see anything different than my own scope.
        >
        > I'm not sure how to pull the AZ/RA axis apart. Do I need to take
        the
        > top screw out (the screw that you tighten to lock the AZ/RA axis?)?
        > When I tried this, it felt like I was turning some of the wiring
        going
        > up through the hole in the AZ bearing and I was afraid to turn it
        more.

        > This scope is out of warranty since it sat on the shelf for so
        long.

        > Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Charles

      • charlesclinton2003
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
          Great link thanks. Will return to Meade for repair.

          Thanks,

          Charles