What focal reducer I need for ETX-125????

  • Alejandro
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
      Ok folks I have the ETX-125 and the DSI, and i dont know what focal
      reducer I need for DSO's. I am bite confused on how focal reducers
      work (well i now it reduces the focal lenght so exposition times are
      faster and wider)..but i dont know the math behind it..like example:

      ETX-125 it's a F/15 scope...there are 2 types of focal reducers I have
      seen, the 3.3 and the 6.3....so if it's a F/15...with the 3.3 focal
      reducer what should the new focal lenght of the etx would be???...same
      with the 6.3.....

      F/15 - 3.3 =F?????
      F/15 - 6.3 =F?????

      What focal reducer my ETX125 + DSI need's???..both?..just the 3.3 or
      the 6.3??...

      Thanx for all the help...
    • Gregg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2006
        Multiply the original F number (or focal length) by the focal
        reducer's number expressed as a percentage:
        F15 * 0.63 = F9.45
        F15 * 0.33 = F4.95
        The 0.33 reducer is for CCD camera detector format only, not for
        visual.
        A positive focal length lens in the reducer will bend the light into
        a steeper cone of focus than normal from the primary optic (lens or
        mirror). If there is enough back focal length (adjusted by moving
        the focus control of the main mirror of the ETX), there will be a
        new focal plane, a new, shorter focal ratio, and a wider field of
        view. Exposure time for extended objects will be decreased by the
        same ratio.
        This effect is the exact opposite of a a Barlow or negative focal
        length lens that acts as a magnification multiplier.
        Choosing a focal reducer for DSI camera imaging depends upon several
        factors:
        imaging chip physical size;
        effective focal length of the optical system (which determines plate
        scale on the imaging chip);
        The above two limit the angular size of the object(s) to be imaged
        in one shot.
        The plate scale times the chip size shows how much of angle can be
        imaged in one shot, and that will show how much sky will be in one
        picture. Many shots can be combined as a mosaic with software.
        Deep sky objects vary in angular size, due to either distance or
        actual physical size. These can range from a few arc seconds to
        many degrees across. Image magnification or plate scale depends
        upon effective focal length. Small objects like planetary nebula
        need high magnification (a few arcsecs per mm or pixel). Large
        objects like extended gas clouds or nearby galaxies need lower
        magnification (many arcsecs per mm or pixel) to fit onto the imaging
        chip in one shot.

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Alejandro" <alex_dj2004@...> wrote:

        > Ok folks I have the ETX-125 and the DSI, and i dont know what
        focal
        > reducer I need for DSO's. I am bite confused on how focal reducers
        > work (well i now it reduces the focal lenght so exposition times
        are
        > faster and wider)..but i dont know the math behind it..like
        example:

        > ETX-125 it's a F/15 scope...there are 2 types of focal reducers I
        have
        > seen, the 3.3 and the 6.3....so if it's a F/15...with the 3.3
        focal
        > reducer what should the new focal lenght of the etx would
        be???...same
        > with the 6.3.....
        >
        > F/15 - 3.3 =F?????
        > F/15 - 6.3 =F?????
        >
        > What focal reducer my ETX125 + DSI need's???..both?..just the 3.3
        or
        > the 6.3??...
        >
        > Thanx for all the help...

      • Alejandro
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
          OK thanx for the answer i now understand, now what focal reducer
          should I choose or be the optimum for ETX-125 + DSI-C combo ?????? In
          general...

          I have seen the meade's one( 6.3, 3.3), the celestron one's (same
          like meade).. one made from scopetronix (only ccd not visual that put
          the scope to F/7), another from optcorp (.5 and .3 , too only for
          ccd )...

          What should be the best one for this comboo (giving the scope and the
          chip size of the DSI-C)????????

          You can suggest another focal reducer if i didnt mention the optimum
          one for this....
          Thanx in advance

          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <starryskyn@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > Ok folks I have the ETX-125 and the DSI, and i dont know what
          > focal
          > > reducer I need for DSO's. I am bite confused on how focal
          reducers
          > > work (well i now it reduces the focal lenght so exposition times
          > are
          > > faster and wider)..but i dont know the math behind it..like
          > example:
          > >
          > > ETX-125 it's a F/15 scope...there are 2 types of focal reducers I
          > have
          > > seen, the 3.3 and the 6.3....so if it's a F/15...with the 3.3
          > focal
          > > reducer what should the new focal lenght of the etx would
          > be???...same
          > > with the 6.3.....
          > >
          > > F/15 - 3.3 =F?????
          > > F/15 - 6.3 =F?????
          > >
          > > What focal reducer my ETX125 + DSI need's???..both?..just the 3.3

        • Gregg
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
            To answer "optimum" reducer for ETX-125 and DSI, you must determine
            the facts that I refered to in the last half of the reply I gave to
            you:
            ************begin quote*********
            imaging chip physical size;
            effective focal length of the optical system (which determines
            plate scale on the imaging chip);
            The above two limit the angular size of the object(s) to be imaged
            in one shot.
            The plate scale times the chip size shows how much of angle can be
            imaged in one shot, and that will show how much sky will be in one
            picture.
            Your choice will depend upon how you wish to use the reducer:
            CCD imaging only, or also visual;
            types of deep sky objects to be imaged;
            how much of sky surrounding what sized objects above;
            whether mosaic or one-shot imaging is to be done;
            price and availability.
            You might search www.astromart.com and www.surplusshed.com.