Re: Finderscope for etx-80?

  • Rony De Laet
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi Cory,

      For that type of scope, I would rather think of a low magnifying
      eyepiece : a 32mm or 40mm would do the job nicely.

      A decent finderscope (and how to attach it on the tube?) might have
      the same pricetag.

      Regards,

      Rony

      www.geocities.com/rodelaet

      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, cory reder <usul03@y...> wrote:

      > hello everyone,
      > I NEED HELP!!!! I need a finderscope for my etx-80. There is
      not allot of accesories i've found on the web for the etx-80. Anyone
      who can help ,it would be great.-------------------------------------
      cory, laporte,indiana.

      > ---------------------------------
      >
      > What are the most popular cars? Find out at Yahoo! Autos

    • kf4yre
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
        I bought one of the right angle finders for the etx-70, it fit on my
        etx-80 without any mods. It's an 8x25. Cost about $50.

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rony De Laet" <rodelaet@...> wrote:

        > Hi Cory,
        >
        > For that type of scope, I would rather think of a low magnifying
        > eyepiece : a 32mm or 40mm would do the job nicely.
        >
        > A decent finderscope (and how to attach it on the tube?) might have
        > the same pricetag.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Rony
        >
        > www.geocities.com/rodelaet
        >

        > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, cory reder <usul03@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > hello everyone,
        > > I NEED HELP!!!! I need a finderscope for my etx-80. There
        is
        > not allot of accesories i've found on the web for the etx-80.
        Anyone
        > who can help ,it would be great.-----------------------------------
        --
        > cory, laporte,indiana.
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------
        > >
        > > What are the most popular cars? Find out at Yahoo! Autos

      • Tim Kamel
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
          kf4yre,

          Does it work?

          I added the right angle finder to my ETX-70 but find it impossible to use, being no different to use than the ETX 70 with a 50 mm eyepiece in it, 7 power.

          I tried an 8x21 straight through finder, which fits in the same bracket as the 8x25 but it was no good either, could not get either eye close to the finder eyepiece to use it.

          I have now gotten really good at sighting along the tube (putting the star in a line with the top of the eyepiece and the top end of scope tube) and then moving the scope down slowly using the arrow keys on the hand controller while looking in the scope eyepiece.   Works in seconds every time.

          I have put the straight through finder on my ETX-125 and it has enough room for me to use it with my right eye.

          Tim Kamel

          kf4yre <kf4yre@...> wrote:
          I bought one of the right angle finders for the etx-70, it fit on my
          etx-80 without any mods. It's an 8x25. Cost about $50.

          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroup s.com, "Rony De Laet" <rodelaet@.. .> wrote:

          > Hi Cory,
          >
          > For that type of scope, I would rather think of a low magnifying
          > eyepiece : a 32mm or 40mm would do the job nicely.
          >
          > A decent finderscope (and how to attach it on the tube?) might have
          > the same pricetag.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Rony
          >
          > www.geocities. com/rodelaet
          >

          > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroup s.com, cory reder <usul03@y... > wrote:
          > >
          > > hello everyone,
          > > I NEED HELP!!!! I need a finderscope for my etx-80. There
          is
          > not allot of accesories i've found on the web for the etx-80.
          Anyone
          > who can help ,it would be great.------ --------- --------- --------- --
          --
          > cory, laporte,indiana.
          > >

          > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
          > >
          > > What are the most popular cars? Find out at Yahoo! Autos

        • George Cushing
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 27, 2007
            Here's a photo of my favorite ETX finder:

            The bracket is from a DS2130 and the finder a Meade 6X by 30mm. I just
            drilled and tapped the thick plastic of the visual back for the 4mm
            screws. Meade is selling a similar finder and bracket throught the 4M
            Shop for $20 delivered. HTH, Geo.

            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "kf4yre" <kf4yre@...> wrote:

            > I bought one of the right angle finders for the etx-70, it fit on my
            > etx-80 without any mods. It's an 8x25. Cost about $50.

          • Phillip Brummett
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2007
              All the holes line up. All, I've done is look through it briefly after i mounted it. Havn't got to field test it under the stars yet due to the clouds. Hopefully this weekend I will tho. I havn't noticed a problem with it yet, but like I said, I havn't used it a lot. When I mount my canon to it, I prob won't be able to use the finder, the cam looks like it will be in the way. But, that's just because of the type of cam mount I have right now. I'm working on changing that. I've also got a backup red dot finder for a bb gun that I can prob mount to it somehow, just in case.

              phil

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2007
                Ah, there's the rub, I'm left eyed. The finder on a tall bracket
                helps keep me face out the eyepiece. I guess it helps me understand
                what being a lefty in a righty world is like. It's a real pain
                spending a couple days strapped into a match M1 trying to get off 10
                rounds rapid fire at 1000 yards, which involves getting the 8 round
                charger clip in left handed and slamming the bolt closed with side of
                your right. Too bad Springfield never turned out a 1903A3 for lefties.
                Geo.

                --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, Tim Kamel <timonium27@...> wrote:

                > Does it work?
                >
                > I added the right angle finder to my ETX-70 but find it
                impossible to use, being no different to use than the ETX 70 with a
                50 mm eyepiece in it, 7 power.

                > I tried an 8x21 straight through finder, which fits in the same
                bracket as the 8x25 but it was no good either, could not get either
                eye close to the finder eyepiece to use it.

                > I have now gotten really good at sighting along the tube (putting
                the star in a line with the top of the eyepiece and the top end of
                scope tube) and then moving the scope down slowly using the arrow
                keys on the hand controller while looking in the scope eyepiece.
                Works in seconds every time.

                > I have put the straight through finder on my ETX-125 and it has
                enough room for me to use it with my right eye.

                > Tim Kamel
              • Mark
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
                  I have an ETX-80 and fashioned a two piece mount for a DIY RDF (Modified Dasiy BB gun sight).  The base part of the mount that is attached to the scope is a retangular piece of aluminum stock curved slightly to match the radius of the back of the OTA.  That piece is mounted to the back of the OTA using black "zip ties" and the piece is prevented from "wiggling" under the zip ties by having a couple layers of Nashua Stretch & Seal Silicone Sealing Tape between the mount and the OTA.  This tape is "sticky" but leaves no residue if I take it off later.  Then, sticking up from that base about 1/2" is another rectangle that is the "male" portion of the two piece mount.  When you sight down the OTA, it looks like you took an upside down letter "T" and attached it to the scope. This upright piece is attached to the base using a HTS-735II fluxless aluminum repair rod (kind of like aluminum solder).

                  The upper part of the mount is a piece of the aluminum stock bent into a "U" shape, with an small rectangular piece (filed and shaped to fit the mounting grooves on the BB gun sight) attached to the bottom of the U (using the same "solder").  The upside down T on the OTA, and the upside down U of the upper part of the mount fit together (the leg of the T is the male, and the opening of the U is the female).  I then drilled and tapped a small set screw (it has a large knurled knob for easy on and off) so that I can always get it back in the exact same spot and not need any "fiddling" between uses.

                  I like this arrangement becasue it maintains the portability of this scope.  I'm not worried about the findersticking up and putting too much torque on the OTA while its packed in the backpack and being transported, etc. becasue the two peices come apart for transport.  Also, it has been rock solid.  I have not had to do any ajustment or realignment since it was first mounted almost 6 months ago (that silicone tape is the key I think).  Plus, alignment with the an RDF is so easy.  You don't have to be anywhere near "perfect" is setting the scope up in the home position for alignment.  Even if the scope postions itself pretty far off from the first alignment star it is easy to quickly drive the scope with the arrow keys using the RDF.  I have found that as few direction changes as possible when driving the scope to the alignment stars = best GOTO performance.  The "spiral search" built into the scope just doesn't yeild good alignment.

                  I will also post some pics of the mount and how it is attached to the scope in a few minutes (waiting for the camera batteries to charge).

                  Thanks,
                  Mark Libby
                • mwlibby2000
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007

                    Here are the pics

                    --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <MWLibby@...> wrote:

                    > I have an ETX-80 and fashioned a two piece mount for a DIY RDF
                    (Modified Dasiy BB gun sight). The base part of the mount that is
                    attached to the scope is a retangular piece of aluminum stock curved
                    slightly to match the radius of the back of the OTA. That piece is
                    mounted to the back of the OTA using black "zip ties" and the piece
                    is prevented from "wiggling" under the zip ties by having a couple
                    layers of Nashua Stretch & Seal Silicone Sealing Tape between the
                    mount and the OTA. This tape is "sticky" but leaves no residue if I
                    take it off later. Then, sticking up from that base about 1/2" is
                    another rectangle that is the "male" portion of the two piece mount.
                    When you sight down the OTA, it looks like you took an upside down
                    letter "T" and attached it to the scope. This upright piece is
                    attached to the base using a HTS-735II fluxless aluminum repair rod
                    (kind of like aluminum solder).

                    > The upper part of the mount is a piece of the aluminum stock bent
                    into a "U" shape, with an small rectangular piece (filed and shaped
                    to fit the mounting grooves on the BB gun sight) attached to the
                    bottom of the U (using the same "solder"). The upside down T on the
                    OTA, and the upside down U of the upper part of the mount fit
                    together (the leg of the T is the male, and the opening of the U is
                    the female). I then drilled and tapped a small set screw (it has a
                    large knurled knob for easy on and off) so that I can always get it
                    back in the exact same spot and not need any "fiddling" between uses.

                    > I like this arrangement becasue it maintains the portability of
                    this scope. I'm not worried about the findersticking up and putting
                    too much torque on the OTA while its packed in the backpack and being
                    transported, etc. becasue the two peices come apart for transport.
                    Also, it has been rock solid. I have not had to do any ajustment or
                    realignment since it was first mounted almost 6 months ago (that
                    silicone tape is the key I think). Plus, alignment with the an RDF
                    is so easy. You don't have to be anywhere near "perfect" is setting
                    the scope up in the home position for alignment. Even if the scope
                    postions itself pretty far off from the first alignment star it is
                    easy to quickly drive the scope with the arrow keys using the RDF. I
                    have found that as few direction changes as possible when driving the
                    scope to the alignment stars = best GOTO performance. The "spiral
                    search" built into the scope just doesn't yeild good alignment.

                    > I will also post some pics of the mount and how it is attached to
                    the scope in a few minutes (waiting for the camera batteries to
                    charge).

                    > Thanks,
                    > Mark Libby

                  • George Cushing
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
                      Mark,
                      Very clever! The Daisey and every RDF I've seen (except Galileo's
                      Mar's Eye) uses an 10-11mm wide dovetail. Sections of this dovetail
                      used to be available from gunsmith suppliers for mounting the sights
                      on gun receivers that weren't machined for the sights. I have not
                      been able to find a source lately.

                      I remove 3M two faced tape by cutting through it with dental floss
                      and then applying a paper towel soaked in CRC's Natural Degreaser to
                      the residue. The degreaser has some kind of citric base. In 10-15
                      minutes everything comes off but the paint.

                      Geo.

                      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "mwlibby2000" <MWLibby@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      or
                      > realignment since it was first mounted almost 6 months ago (that
                      > silicone tape is the key I think). Plus, alignment with the an RDF
                      > is so easy. You don't have to be anywhere near "perfect" is
                      setting
                      > the scope up in the home position for alignment. Even if the scope
                      > postions itself pretty far off from the first alignment star it is
                      > easy to quickly drive the scope with the arrow keys using the RDF.
                      > have found that as few direction changes as possible when driving
                      the
                      > scope to the alignment stars = best GOTO performance. The "spiral
                      > search" built into the scope just doesn't yeild good alignment.
                      > >
                      > > I will also post some pics of the mount and how it is attached to
                      > the scope in a few minutes (waiting for the camera batteries to

                    • George Cushing
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
                        Found one! Brownells.com, supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts
                        and Gunsmithing Tools. The nominal 3/8" dovetail can be found here:

                        http://tinyurl.com/3bx55l

                        It's avail in one foot lengths for $10.
                        George