Re: ETX 70 Motor Failure

  • Rony De Laet
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
      Thanks dick,

      I will check. Autostar does go to a 'test motor scenario'
      automatically after the motor unit failure.

      When I get back from vacation,
      I will also check the voltage regulator on my 12 V booster.
      I will also connect my other autostar from the ETX 105.
      I will check for a loose wire or bad connection on the print.
      I hate to send it back. It will take months to get it back.

      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@w...> wrote:

      > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rony De Laet" <rodelaet@y...>
      wrote:

      > > After some testing, I can conclude that the motor does engange on
      > > high speeds, but stalls on low speed. I believe that friction or
      > > tension in the altitude gearbox is the cause. I have removed the
      > > cover on one side. The gearbox is visible. I can hardly move the
      > > gears with my fingertips. I see a spring on the side of the
      gearbox.
      > > I wonder if the spring can be manipulated in order to solve the
      > > problem.
      >
      > Just a question: have you tried a
      > Setup/Telescope/Calibrate Drives
      >
      > operation? (it just slews the motors to adjust the
      > endcoder illumination, but failure to do it can yield
      > Motor Unit Fault messages).
      >
      > have fun
      > --dick

    • Rony De Laet
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
        Dick,

        Just tried 'calibrate motors'.

        First the azimuth motor moves, then nothing, then message motor unit
        fault.

        The strange thing is that after power up, the motor sometimes
        enganges pressing the arrows on the handbox while moving the gears
        with my fingertips. More succes with the higher speeds than the
        slower ones. As if the motor is stuck and does not get enough power
        to start? I more believe in an electronical than mechanical problem.

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@w...> wrote:

        > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rony De Laet" <rodelaet@y...>
        wrote:

        > > After some testing, I can conclude that the motor does engange on
        > > high speeds, but stalls on low speed. I believe that friction or
        > > tension in the altitude gearbox is the cause. I have removed the
        > > cover on one side. The gearbox is visible. I can hardly move the
        > > gears with my fingertips. I see a spring on the side of the
        gearbox.
        > > I wonder if the spring can be manipulated in order to solve the
        > > problem.
        >
        > Just a question: have you tried a
        > Setup/Telescope/Calibrate Drives
        >
        > operation? (it just slews the motors to adjust the
        > endcoder illumination, but failure to do it can yield
        > Motor Unit Fault messages).
        >
        > have fun
        > --dick

      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2006
          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rony De Laet" <rodelaet@y...> wrote:

          > Just tried 'calibrate motors'.
          >
          > First the azimuth motor moves, then nothing, then message motor unit
          > fault.
          >
          > The strange thing is that after power up, the motor sometimes
          > enganges pressing the arrows on the handbox while moving the gears
          > with my fingertips. More succes with the higher speeds than the
          > slower ones. As if the motor is stuck and does not get enough power
          > to start? I more believe in an electronical than mechanical problem.

          It could be lack of power (by a faulty component)... it could also
          be a "dead" segment in the motor's brush assembly (so moving
          it by finger moves past that, and off you go...)

          It does sound like it's going to require repair.

          good luck
          --dick