Re: Eyepiece advice for viewing Mars with 125

  • Rony De Laet
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
      Brian,

      I have an etx 105 and my most used eyepiece is a Vixen LV zoom
      eyepiece. Its focal lenght goes from 24 to 8mm. It's great for
      tweaking power on the edge of seeing with planets. Where I live,
      seeing does'nt permit high power. Even on deep sky, I prefer the
      Vixen when it comes to adjusting contrast on low surface brightness
      objetcs.

      Regards,

      Rony

      www.geocities.com/rodelaet

      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, bwims <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > I tried to look at Mars last night for the first time and was
      _very_
      > disappointed. I have an ETX-125 and have been able to get
      reasonable
      > views of Jupiter and Saturn in the past. Last night though, all I
      > could see of Mars was a yellow fuzzy blob, using eyepieces of 15mm
      > down to 4 mm.
      >
      > An important factor could be that these eyepieces are from the
      > Celestron "cheap deal" set in the little aluminium case.
      >
      > What I need to know is whether my inability to see Mars was due to
      > cheap eyepieces or whether the 125 just doesn't have the light
      > gathering power?
      >
      > If it is capable of resolving detail worth seeing from Mars, does
      > anyone have a recommendation for one eyepiece that will do the job
      > for the least cost? I'd be very grateful for any advice.
      >
      > (Oh, and are the celestron eyepieces completely worthless?)
      >
      > Many thanks,
      >
      > Brian Williams

    • Dominique Boutigny
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Brian,

        As others already told you, sometimes (most of the time :-( ) the
        atmospheric conditions are not very good, and the image in the eyepiece
        is fuzzy. One thing you can try is to use a red filter, this will
        enhance the contrast of the ground features on Mars. But if the
        atmostphere is turbulent, no way, you will not be able to push the
        magnification.

        The same day in the French Haute-Savoie, I did the following Mars
        picture with my ETX 125 and a ToUCam Pro:
        http://boutigny.free.fr/Astronomie/mars29oct2005-31-33-couleur.bmp

        Cheers,

        Dominique

        bwims a écrit :
        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > I tried to look at Mars last night for the first time and was _very_
        > disappointed. I have an ETX-125 and have been able to get reasonable
        > views of Jupiter and Saturn in the past. Last night though, all I
        > could see of Mars was a yellow fuzzy blob, using eyepieces of 15mm
        > down to 4 mm.
        >
        > An important factor could be that these eyepieces are from the
        > Celestron "cheap deal" set in the little aluminium case.
        >
        > What I need to know is whether my inability to see Mars was due to
        > cheap eyepieces or whether the 125 just doesn't have the light
        > gathering power?
        >
        > If it is capable of resolving detail worth seeing from Mars, does
        > anyone have a recommendation for one eyepiece that will do the job
        > for the least cost? I'd be very grateful for any advice.
        >
        > (Oh, and are the celestron eyepieces completely worthless?)
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Brian Williams
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • George Cushing
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, Allen Jensen <allen_astro@j...> wrote:

          > Don't know where you are located but seeing in South Carolina was
          > not very good last night - looked clear but lots of upper
          > atmosphere turb. - should be able to see pretty good detail.
          > bwims wrote:

          Pretty much the same here in upstate NY. I was using the C9.25 on the
          ASGT mount (really too light for the C9.25) and mostly some Rini 2"
          EPs, which I found surprisingly good. Detail was very limited.
          Couldn't make out the polar cap. Got'ta try an ETX125 OTA on the ASGT.
          Should be a perfect match.
          GC