Re: Bit of help with a ETX90 PE

  • dougfennell2000
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
      Thanx Dick. The patches are great, I use them on my LX200GPS and my
      Orion SVP that I autostar 497 roboscoped a few months back.

      I took the LX200GPS and the ETX90PE out again last night and I'm
      still mystified by the ETX's operation... Both are running in alt/az
      mode. On a positive note, the sky was crystal clear last night and
      the LX worked like a champ. Still had weirdness out of the ETX - I'll
      have another go at it tonight. I'll just double check and triple
      check the settings.. probably just a simple thing like what has been
      suggested.

      Basically, I bought the ETX to use as a travel scope when I go on
      trips and even some star parties. The LX is herniating in size -

      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@w...> wrote:
      > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Stewart"
      > <malcolm_stewart@m...> wrote:
      >
      > > So, you got your self a new 'scope.
      > >
      > > > I started off by upgrading the firmware and using Dick's patch
      > > > on it.
      > >
      > > From what you've written, I assume that you installed the patch
      before
      > > checking that your 'scope worked in a basic mode.
      > > Why on earth didn't you just give it a chance before doing brain
      > > surgery on it?
      > > You've now destroyed any baseline from which to argue with Meade.
      >
      > While i'm fully in agreement that one should get familiar with
      > the as-delivered scope (i recommend a least a week of usage
      > before exploring options), at least my patches are instantly
      > removable by reloading unpatched firmware.
      >
      > Then you're back at baseline.
      >
      > However... you mention that RA is too far east.
      >
      > How -far- east?
      >
      > Yes, it may be location, but i'd suspect -time-.
      >
      > If it's 15 degrees (one RA hour by the setting circles) off,
      > then that's usually a big hint that you're either got the
      > Daylight Savings setting wrong, or the wrong Time Zone
      > set for your site (or a combination of the two, you might
      > thereby enjoy a 30 degree shift).
      >
      > If your wristwatch is set "an hour ahead" for summer-time,
      > then the Autostar should be told "Yes" for daylight savings.
      > If your wristwatch is -not- set an hour ahead, tell the
      > Autostar "no".
      >
      > You can check your site's Time Zone setting by menuing to:
      > Setup > Site > Edit > [enter] and then scroll through the
      > subset topics (Name, Lat, Long, Time Zone).
      > In the Time Zone, you tell it your -standard- time offset.
      > If you're in the US, the east coast is -5.0, the west coast
      > is -8.0.
      > East of Greenwich gets positive numbers.
      >
      > have fun
      > --dick
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "dougfennell2000" <dfennell@m...> wrote:
        > Thanx Dick. The patches are great, I use them on my LX200GPS and my
        > Orion SVP that I autostar 497 roboscoped a few months back.

        Ah, an experienced, happy customer...

        > > However... you mention that RA is too far east.

        Another thing to check is for dirt/grease in the encoders.
        Point at a landmark, bring up the Alt/Az readout.
        (press [mode] 4 secs, release, scroll down)
        Slew the scope a full 360 in Azimuth, recenter the landmark.

        Did the -display- reflect a 360 degree change?

        If it only reports 350 degrees, then one encoder gap
        is occluded by dirt/grease. Open base and clean.

        have fun
        --dick
        (yes, i realize you know how to find the alt/az readout,
        that parenthetical comment was for new users)
      • dougfennell2000
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
          That's a good piece of advice - I'll try that after work tonight.
          I'll take all the advice I can - nobody knows it all, and I am brand
          new to the ETX. I really can't believe that it's a huge problem with
          the scope - I predict that it'll turn out to be a simple mistake in
          setup on my part, or a relatively easy to fix mechanical issue like
          you described. Really is a slick litle scope all in all - I think
          it'll turn into a neat little companion on trips.

          What do you think about the backlash readings I posted last night?
          Are they normal for the ETX? The SVP trues out to +33 and +302 in the
          respective axis - the ETX sets at +1203 and +2402! Might need to get
          in there and work on the worms and gear mesh a bit.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "dougfennell2000" <dfennell@m...> wrote:

            > What do you think about the backlash readings I posted last night?
            > Are they normal for the ETX? The SVP trues out to +33 and +302
            > in the respective axis - the ETX sets at +1203 and +2402!

            My own ETX90 is az=1100 and alt=3100

            Sub ten-arcmin GoTo's (once i inserted a cardboard shim to
            pre-warp the plastic fork where the Dec Worm carrier is attached).

            But i have the "old style" (all plastic) ETX90... (built in
            1999) the new ones are better/stiffer.

            have fun
            --dick
          • dougfennell2000
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
              Ok - here's a question...

              Lets say that I line up on a target and it's at 320'10'10' degrees on
              the readout and I turn a full 360 circle on the scope and return to
              the same object - the read out should again be 320'10'10'...
              correct?

              --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@w...> wrote:
              > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "dougfennell2000" <dfennell@m...>
              wrote:

              > > What do you think about the backlash readings I posted last
              night?
              > > Are they normal for the ETX? The SVP trues out to +33 and +302
              > > in the respective axis - the ETX sets at +1203 and +2402!
              >
              > My own ETX90 is az=1100 and alt=3100
              >
              > Sub ten-arcmin GoTo's (once i inserted a cardboard shim to
              > pre-warp the plastic fork where the Dec Worm carrier is attached).
              >
              > But i have the "old style" (all plastic) ETX90... (built in
              > 1999) the new ones are better/stiffer.
              >
              > have fun
              > --dick
            • autostaretx
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2005
                --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "dougfennell2000" <dfennell@m...> wrote:
                > Ok - here's a question...
                >
                > Lets say that I line up on a target and it's at 320'10'10' degrees on
                > the readout and I turn a full 360 circle on the scope and return to
                > the same object - the read out should again be 320'10'10'...
                > correct?

                Correct... although a -few- arcminutes difference won't matter.
                Degrees matter.

                One dirty encoder vane will make a 10 degree error

                have fun
                --dick
              • dougfennell2000
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 3, 2005
                  Ok, this was at least part of the problem... The readout was exactly
                  20deg off on a 360deg slew. That could indeed jack some things up in
                  the accuracy department.

                  I took the base cover off and cleaned the white encoder wheel and put
                  it back together, and the 360deg slew was dead on.

                  As a side note, the encoder wheel did not appear to have any
                  obstructions, so all I can figure is a thin layer of the clear
                  lubricant Meade uses migrated into two of the encoder vanes. Slipping a
                  a piece of paper between the vanes seems to be a good gentle way of
                  clearing them out.

                  Does anyone have a list of good summertime stars to use for alignment?
                  Or better yet, a breakdown of alignment stars appropriate for the
                  seasons?

                  --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@w...> wrote:
                  > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "dougfennell2000" <dfennell@m...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Ok - here's a question...
                  > >
                  > > Lets say that I line up on a target and it's at 320'10'10' degrees
                  on
                  > > the readout and I turn a full 360 circle on the scope and return to
                  > > the same object - the read out should again be 320'10'10'...
                  > > correct?
                  >
                  > Correct... although a -few- arcminutes difference won't matter.
                  > Degrees matter.
                  >
                  > One dirty encoder vane will make a 10 degree error
                  >
                  > have fun
                  > --dick
                • dougfennell2000
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 3, 2005
                    Dick, you sir are a steely eyed missle man.

                    It was grease in the encoder wheel... just lined it up (using
                    automatic alignment) and it works like a champ! Slewed to Venus right
                    off the bat, and then to Jupiter.