Dec Judder

  • Laurence
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2005
      All,

      Ever since I tracked my ETX 105/DSI into the base I have had all sorts
      of problems, still checking out the RA when I get gaps in the cloud :-(

      The Dec has got the judders, I stripped down the grearbox, cleaned,
      inspected, and found nothing, no broken teeth, re-greased with a high
      teflon content based grease (Finish Line with DuPont Teflon). Did the
      same with the Spur and worm assembly, also adusted that for endplay
      and binding.

      Removed the OTA, de-greased and cleaned up the clutch faces etc..

      Still the same, something is sticking ?

      Would it be better to use Copperslip or MD? grease, the black stuff ?

      Suggestions ? HELP :-)

      Laurence
    • Laurence
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2005
        A note of caution...

        I had to replace the RA motor and the Dec gearbox and motor.

        When operating telescopes remotly be *sure* you are not going to
        slew or track attached cameras and other equipment into the base of
        the scope.

        I had the DSI camera on the rear port and tried to slew to M51...bad
        idea.

        Laurence.

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <laurence.cochrane@b...>
        wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > Ever since I tracked my ETX 105/DSI into the base I have had all
        sorts
        > of problems, still checking out the RA when I get gaps in the
        cloud :-(

        > The Dec has got the judders, I stripped down the grearbox,
        cleaned,
        > inspected, and found nothing, no broken teeth, re-greased with a
        high
        > teflon content based grease (Finish Line with DuPont Teflon). Did
        the
        > same with the Spur and worm assembly, also adusted that for
        endplay
        > and binding.
        >
        > Removed the OTA, de-greased and cleaned up the clutch faces etc..
        >
        > Still the same, something is sticking ?
        >
        > Would it be better to use Copperslip or MD? grease, the black
        stuff ?

        > Suggestions ? HELP :-)
        >
        > Laurence
      • Michael McLellan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11, 2005
          yes, that can be dangerous. :)

          Meade would do better if they provided slightly longer
          forks to accomodate at least the LPI or DSI with a
          focal reducer attached. That would make a lot of
          sense. :)
          mike.

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
          http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
        • David Gaudine
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11, 2005
            I had the same problem when I decided to try my camera on the 45 degree
            attachment (the one intended for terrestrial viewing). But here's the
            strange part; once I drove the regular eyepiece attachment into the
            base, because I tried to goto something and the scope flipped onto its
            back (went up past vertical) instead of turning around. Just happened
            once, I realigned and had no further problem.
            David

            Laurence wrote:

            >A note of caution...
            >
            >I had to replace the RA motor and the Dec gearbox and motor.
            >
            >When operating telescopes remotly be *sure* you are not going to
            >slew or track attached cameras and other equipment into the base of
            >the scope.
            >
            >I had the DSI camera on the rear port and tried to slew to M51...bad
            >idea.
            >
            >Laurence.

          • Dominique Boutigny
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 11, 2005
              Hi,

              I had exactly the same problem last Saturday. I was discussing with
              someone while operating the ETX and I did not noticed that the attached
              webcam went in contact with the scope base.

              After this problem the ETX tube was moving on the declinaison axis by
              +/- 10 degrees even with the clutch blocked. So I decided to dismount
              the tube and to open the declinaison gear and motor box. Fortunately
              nothing was broken and I had just to tighten up the screw on top of the
              worm axis.

              Everything is fine by now :-)

              Cheers,

              Dominique

              Laurence a écrit :
              > A note of caution...
              >
              > I had to replace the RA motor and the Dec gearbox and motor.
              >
              > When operating telescopes remotly be *sure* you are not going to
              > slew or track attached cameras and other equipment into the base of
              > the scope.
              >
              > I had the DSI camera on the rear port and tried to slew to M51...bad
              > idea.
              >
              > Laurence.
              >

              > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <laurence.cochrane@b...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >>All,
              >>
              >>Ever since I tracked my ETX 105/DSI into the base I have had all
              >
              > sorts
              >
              >>of problems, still checking out the RA when I get gaps in the
              >
              > cloud :-(
              >
              >>The Dec has got the judders, I stripped down the grearbox,
              >
              > cleaned,
              >
              >>inspected, and found nothing, no broken teeth, re-greased with a
              >
              > high
              >
              >>teflon content based grease (Finish Line with DuPont Teflon). Did
              >
              > the
              >
              >>same with the Spur and worm assembly, also adusted that for
              >
              > endplay
              >
              >>and binding.
              >>
              >>Removed the OTA, de-greased and cleaned up the clutch faces etc..
              >>
              >>Still the same, something is sticking ?
              >>
              >>Would it be better to use Copperslip or MD? grease, the black
              >
              > stuff ?
              >
              >>Suggestions ? HELP :-)
              >>
              >>Laurence
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Thomas Beckert
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 14, 2005
                Which adapter do you need to install the DSI on the rear port?

                Thomas

                wrote:
                > All,
                >
                > Ever since I tracked my ETX 105/DSI into the base I have had all
                sorts
                > of problems, still checking out the RA when I get gaps in the
                cloud :-(

                > The Dec has got the judders, I stripped down the grearbox,
                cleaned,
                > inspected, and found nothing, no broken teeth, re-greased with a
                high
                > teflon content based grease (Finish Line with DuPont Teflon). Did
                the
                > same with the Spur and worm assembly, also adusted that for
                endplay
                > and binding.
                >
                > Removed the OTA, de-greased and cleaned up the clutch faces etc..
                >
                > Still the same, something is sticking ?
                >
                > Would it be better to use Copperslip or MD? grease, the black
                stuff ?

                > Suggestions ? HELP  :-)
                >
                > Laurence

                <?---- LSpots keywords ?> <?---- HM ADS ?>

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Laurence
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 14, 2005
                  Hi Thomas,

                  Go to http://www.scopetronix.com/ and look under >Optical
                  Accessories>Reducer / Correctors

                  They do either a straight through rear port adaptor, or a field
                  doubler, taking my ETX 105 down to f7 which is great sometimes, with
                  caution! I got both.

                  I have nothing to do with them except their name on my bill, and
                  excellent service all the way to the UK :-)

                  Laurence.

                • Mike Weasner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 14, 2005
                    On Jul 14, 2005, at 11:31, Thomas Beckert wrote:

                    > Which adapter do you need to install the DSI on the rear port?

                    You will need a Visual Back. You can read about the Shutan one on the
                    Accessory Reviews: Showcase Products page on my ETX Site.

                    Mike Weasner
                    Email: mweasner@... iChatAV / AIM: mweasner@...
                    | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
                    | "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |