Re: Finder Eyepiece Problem

  • tresark
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
      Guess I'll need to dig out the documents and find the number to
      Meade Customer Service. Another question, when switching the mount
      from Az/Alt to Polar do the drives require retraining or calibration?

      Thanks,
      Doug

      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley Fisher, Ph.D."
      <sfisher@a...> wrote:
      > Hi -
      > The right-angle viewfinder I just received is Meade #825 8x25
      > Right-Angle Viewfinder. I believe it is the one made for the
      ETX125.
      > When I bought the first one, the directions indicate that the
      straight
      > and anglular part should be separated in order to place the
      straight
      > part in the viewfinder holder. I tried, but couldn't separate
      them;
      > however I was able to place the unit in the holder. A few weeks
      later,
      > the two parts fell apart and I couldn't get them to stay
      together. Back
      > to Meade. The two parts of the new one I just received from Meade
      can
      > be screwed and unscrewed.
      > Stan

    • Bill Dirks
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
        I switch back and forth between alt/az and polar frequently, and use the
        same training values for each. No problems. I trained in alt/az, and yet
        High Precision mode puts the object dead center every time in polar
        configuration.

        Calibration depends only on your power supply voltage. Recalibrate if
        the voltage changed. For example, if you switched from batteries to AC
        adapter. I use an external 8-D-cell battery pack, and discard the
        batteries when the battery meter reads 85%. I hardly ever recalibrate.

        Bill.
        http://www.thedirks.org/astro/

        tresark wrote:

        >Guess I'll need to dig out the documents and find the number to
        >Meade Customer Service. Another question, when switching the mount
        >from Az/Alt to Polar do the drives require retraining or calibration?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Doug

      • Mary
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 4, 2005
          WOW!!! This explains a LOT! I received my ETX125 back in early
          March 2004. I also read about separating the viewfinder to mount
          it. So I tried. FIFTEEN minutes out of the box and I had already
          broke the darn thing! I had a bunch of muffled words and a few tears
          and then packed the whole scope up. I have taken it out a few times
          since then only to say more foul words about the viewfinder. The
          whole experience has made me feel sick just digging the scope out! I
          have wanted a scope for 25 years. I finally have one. And now I
          have NO motivation to learn how to use it unless someone is willing
          to take me under their wing and help me. I feel like I have a REALLY
          expensive paperweight in my closet. Very frustrating for someone who
          has always loved the stars and aspired at one time to be an
          astronaut.
          My husband of course is just as frustrated about our expensive
          paperweight and bought me a Telrad viewfinder scope for Christmas to
          help with my frustration. Now I just have to figure out how to mount
          that without breaking it!

          Mary

          <sfisher@a...> wrote:
          > Hi -
          > The right-angle viewfinder I just received is Meade #825 8x25
          > Right-Angle Viewfinder. I believe it is the one made for the
          ETX125.
          > When I bought the first one, the directions indicate that the
          straight
          > and anglular part should be separated in order to place the
          straight
          > part in the viewfinder holder. I tried, but couldn't separate
          them;
          > however I was able to place the unit in the holder. A few weeks
          later,
          > the two parts fell apart and I couldn't get them to stay together.
          Back
          > to Meade. The two parts of the new one I just received from Meade
          can
          > be screwed and unscrewed.
          > Stan
          >
          > Larry wrote:
          >
          > >Is is the small "right angle" finder? I have the
          > >ETX90, but I replaced my straight finder with a Meade
          > >right angle finder, which I think is made for the 125.
          > > I've never had mine fall apart, but I'm not sure if
          > >its threaded or not.
          > >
          > >--- "Stanley Fisher, Ph.D." <sfisher@a...> wrote:
          > >

          > >>Hi Doug -
          > >>I just received my replacement unit for the right
          > >>angled viewfinder.
          > >>This one does have threads designed to keep the unit
          > >>together. The one
          > >>I returned had no threads and appeared to be glued
          > >>together. The
          > >>directions indicated that there would be threads.
          > >>Call Meade and get a
          > >>replacement.
          > >>Stan

          > >>use and overall

          > >>eyepiece though.

          > >>attempt to focus

          > >>have to be careful

          > >>closely I see no

          > >>identify as being

          > >>right? There is

          > >>an adhesive

          > >>--
          > >>
          > >>Stanley Fisher, Ph.D.
          > >>
          > >>220 E 63rd Street Suite LM
          > >>
          > >>New York, NY 10021-7658
          > >>
          > >>212-319-1530

          > --
          >
          > Stanley Fisher, Ph.D.
          >
          > 220 E 63rd Street Suite LM
          >
          > New York, NY 10021-7658
          >
          > 212-319-1530
        • Stanley Fisher, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
            Hi Mary -
            I too am just beginning and running into all kinds of problems.  My scope cannot drive the Autostar and needs to go in for repair.  I bought it in October.  However, when you are out there looking and "discovering" the planets, the moon or a double star, its worth the agravation.  Stick with it.
            stan

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Stanley Fisher, Ph

            Stanley Fisher, Ph.D.

            220 E 63rd Street Suite LM

            New York, NY 10021-7658

            212-319-1530

          • Mary
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
              Thanks Stan for the words of encouragement. I did find Jupiter back
              in March along with 5 moons. That was awesome! But I want to be
              able to see nebulas and my ultimate goal of Saturn. I cannot figure
              out how that autostar works. Well I know how it works but it is
              never pointing where it says it should be. Maybe I am aligning it
              wrong? It seems right. I follow the directions. Although that is
              what led me to break my viewfinder. =( I thought going to a star
              party would help me. I felt soooooo out of place because they all
              knew what they were doing. I need a class for newbies! Anyone have
              suggestions or live close to Seattle so they can help me???

              Mary

            • MaxIPTer@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
                Mary,

                I'm teaching a sidewalk astronomy class for the Community Ed folks here in Rockwall, TX beginning Feb. 17.

                Otherwise, I'd be glad to "chat" off the list and try to answer your questions. Mike Weasner is pretty much the font of ETX knowledge. His mighty ETX website URL is http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

                After two years of using the heck out of my ETX-125 I sent it to Dr. Clay Sherrod for a "Supercharge". What a great deal this is. Once we get you fixed up and running, you ought to consider this service. Your scope will humm like a Porsche.

                My website contains a lot of pictures taken by my ETX-125 as a testimony to the little scope. www.geocities.com/astrodad32.

                Feel free to contact me MaxIPTer@...

                Cheers,
                max
              • Mary
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
                  Thank you Max for sharing your website link. Very incouraging to see
                  those pics! It inspires me to get out there and try again. I will
                  say this...If I lived even remotely near Texas, I would ask to join
                  your class. I need all the help and encouragement I can get!

                  As for Mike Weasner, I had totally forgotten about his website and
                  had bookmarked it way back in March. I found it because I actually
                  purchased my scope from Oceanside Photo & Telescope and saw his link
                  from their site. So thank you for reminding me of that as well. Now
                  it is bookmarked twice! LOL Oh well! Maybe I won't forget it now.
                  And once I have it engraved in my head, I can delete a bookmark.

                  Right now I don't have many questions since I had given up on
                  figuring it all out. Once I find a clear Seattle night (good luck)
                  and tinker some more, I will probably have loads of questions. Until
                  then, I wish you clear skies!

                  Mary

                  --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, MaxIPTer@a... wrote:
                  > Mary,
                  >
                  > I'm teaching a sidewalk astronomy class for the Community Ed folks
                  here in Rockwall, TX beginning Feb. 17.

                  > Otherwise, I'd be glad to "chat" off the list and try to answer
                  your questions. Mike Weasner is pretty much the font of ETX
                  knowledge. His mighty ETX website URL is
                  http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

                  > After two years of using the heck out of my ETX-125 I sent it to
                  Dr. Clay Sherrod for a "Supercharge". What a great deal this is.
                  Once we get you fixed up and running, you ought to consider this
                  service. Your scope will humm like a Porsche.

                  > My website contains a lot of pictures taken by my ETX-125 as a
                  testimony to the little scope. www.geocities.com/astrodad32.

                  > Feel free to contact me MaxIPTer@a...
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > max
                • Pepper, Mike
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                    Mary, to help eliminate the frustration level, go buy a small bubble
                    level, a small one used for hanging pictures and such will work as well,
                    and go to Wal-Mart, Target, or other similar store and purchase a Jump
                    Start battery. Make sure that the battery has a cigarette lighter outlet
                    on it. Next purchase a DC power cable for the telescope. If your not
                    familiar with the sky yet, I.E. can readily locate and identify the
                    North Star Polaris, a small compass will come in handy as well.
                    Always use the external power source that you purchased. The internal
                    batteries are just not reliable enough. Since the jump start batteries
                    are rechargeable, I consider it an investment, since I no longer have to
                    purchase batteries for the scope.
                    Once you have all of the items, work on setting up and tearing down the
                    telescope inside where it is well lit, and warm.
                    The steps that I follow are as follows:

                    1. Set up the tripod, with spreader etc. On the field Tripod that the
                    newer ETX's come with there is a metal bar that is attached to one end
                    of the top plate. Make sure that bar is on the South side of the tripod.

                    2. Level the tripod. The more level, the better. Take some time and get
                    it as close as you can. <Do not move the tripod after this step>

                    3. Take the telescope and look under it at the bottom of the scope.
                    Where the tripod screws on, there is some wording that tells you that
                    one of the holes is the high altitude hole. This goes closest to the bar
                    on the tripod that should now be on the South side.

                    4. This should place the control panel on the West side of the scope.

                    5. loosen the brake that allows the telescope to slew left and right
                    <Azimuth>.

                    6. Turn the telescope <not the mount> counterclockwise until it hits the
                    hard stop.

                    7. turn the telescope clockwise until it points north.

                    8. relock the brake, <it just needs to be snug>

                    9. slightly loosen the knob that allows the scope to move up and down
                    <Alt>.

                    10. level the tube.

                    11. This is what we call the home position. This is where we always need
                    to start from.

                    12. Only now do we worry about plugging things in and starting with
                    alignments.

                    Get comfortable with these steps inside. It will quickly become second
                    nature, and get you well on your way to successful GOTO's.

                    Make sure that you train and calibrate the motors. The new power source
                    will be much more reliable and you will find that you won't have to
                    train and calibrate much.

                    As always align your finder scope of what ever kind. It is possible to
                    sight along the tube and get close, but a finder is much better.

                    Nothing on the telescope or tripod needs to be forced. Just snug things
                    up to keep them from slipping.

                    When it comes time for the Autostar, I would start from scratch. Do a
                    hard reset, <instructions can be found on Mike Weasners site> and start
                    like it is new.

                    I hope that this helps.

                    Let us know when you are ready to fire up the autostar. We can help you
                    through that as well.
                    Remember don't get frustrated, have fun with it. It will show you many
                    many incredible sites.

                    Mike Pepper
                    ETX-125 Supercharged

                    Thank you Max for sharing your website link. Very incouraging to see
                    those pics! It inspires me to get out there and try again. I will say
                    this...If I lived even remotely near Texas, I would ask to join your
                    class. I need all the help and encouragement I can get!

                    As for Mike Weasner, I had totally forgotten about his website and had
                    bookmarked it way back in March. I found it because I actually
                    purchased my scope from Oceanside Photo & Telescope and saw his link
                    from their site. So thank you for reminding me of that as well. Now it
                    is bookmarked twice! LOL Oh well! Maybe I won't forget it now.
                    And once I have it engraved in my head, I can delete a bookmark.

                    Right now I don't have many questions since I had given up on figuring
                    it all out. Once I find a clear Seattle night (good luck) and tinker
                    some more, I will probably have loads of questions. Until then, I wish
                    you clear skies!

                    Mary

                    --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, MaxIPTer@a... wrote:
                    > Mary,
                    >
                    > I'm teaching a sidewalk astronomy class for the Community Ed folks
                    here in Rockwall, TX beginning Feb. 17.

                    > Otherwise, I'd be glad to "chat" off the list and try to answer
                    your questions. Mike Weasner is pretty much the font of ETX knowledge.
                    His mighty ETX website URL is http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

                    > After two years of using the heck out of my ETX-125 I sent it to
                    Dr. Clay Sherrod for a "Supercharge". What a great deal this is.
                    Once we get you fixed up and running, you ought to consider this
                    service. Your scope will humm like a Porsche.

                    > My website contains a lot of pictures taken by my ETX-125 as a
                    testimony to the little scope. www.geocities.com/astrodad32.

                    > Feel free to contact me MaxIPTer@a...
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > max

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/o_XolB/TM
                  • Mary
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                      Woohoo! Thanks Mike! I had never known about step #3. I definately
                      will take your suggestion to heart and start practicing inside. Also
                      I had only found out how handy a level might be from an e-mail
                      yesterday.
                      I am very unfamiliar in a lot of ways with the night sky. I cannot
                      find Polaris but I can find many constellations. Go figure!?!? I do
                      use a compass. But about how far off is magnetic north from true
                      north? I have been wondering if that was part of my problem. I know
                      I have been doing something wrong. Everytime I have run the easy
                      align, I have NEVER seen a star that it was supposedly trying to
                      point to! Now THAT is more frustrating than the viewfinder! I am
                      hopeful that your many suggestions will correct that problem.
                      I like the suggestion of a jump start battery. The etx takes so many
                      batteries and it uses them in a flash. Another future frustration I
                      figured since I have not used my scope enough to even run those
                      batteries down. (Sad!)
                      What is also sad is that I must have missed training and calibrating
                      motors when reading my instruction manuel. Don't remember ever
                      seeing that. Think I am going to start from scratch, pretend I just
                      opened the box, and read read read! However this time, I am NOT
                      going to break my darn viewfinder! LOL

                      Thanks Again!
                      Mary

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                        Mary,

                        Keep me posted. Let me know what's most troubling and I'll try to help you out.

                        Max
                      • Pepper, Mike
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                          Mary, if you can recognize constellations, then finding Polaris is a
                          snap.

                          Find the Big Dipper... Take the 2 end stars on the pan, imagine a line
                          connecting them. Follow that line on above the pan to the first bright
                          star. That is Polaris.
                          I am posting a modified picture from Starry Night Pro on my web site. It
                          shows the stars as of 9:00 tonight from my location in Mid-Missouri. If
                          your in the Washington State area, things will just be located a little
                          higher in the sky. As you can see from the bottom of the picture, this
                          is looking North. I have outlined the Big Dipper in Red, and made the
                          red dashed line going to Polaris.

                          Also, the Autostar should be trying to point the brightest star in the
                          area. Depending upon your set-up it could be a few degrees away. But
                          most of the alignment stars are ones like Cappella, Sirius, Vega,
                          Deneb... Really bright ones.
                          Just center the brighter ones, and go for it. All that you may have to
                          do is start over <grin>

                          Again have fun with it! And use a low power eyepiece when aligning and
                          slewing to a new object, you get much better results that way. <wink> I
                          personally use the 26mm that came with the telescope.

                          Once you get the hang of it, drop Dr. Clay a note, and talk to him about
                          the supercharge service.

                          http://arksky.org

                          I hope that this helps.

                          http://cmaa.missouri.edu/polaris/finding_polaris.jpg

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                            Thanks again Mike for the help! For some reason, I always thought
                            Polaris was part of thr big dipper but could never figure out which
                            one. I think someone told me that many years ago and it has stuck
                            with me. No wonder I am lost in the sky! It is overcast and freezing
                            rain here this eve so I cannot peak out but your pic that you gave me
                            the link for is perfect. I know exactly where to look. I bookmarked
                            the arksky.org site. Will have to read up on supercharge. Never
                            heard of it until you and someone else mentioned it.

                            Thanks again for clearing up the Polaris confusion. :)

                          • autostaretx
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                              --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <mj1211wa@y...> wrote:
                              > I need a class for newbies! Anyone have
                              > suggestions or live close to Seattle so they can help me???

                              I live one block west of the Woodland Park zoo...(*)

                              (and have experience with talking people through alignments
                              over the phone)

                              have fun
                              --dick ( rseymour (at) wolfenet.com )

                              (*) OUTSIDE the fences, thank you very much....
                            • Mary
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                                ROFL!! That was good Dick. Since you had to specify which side of
                                the fence, should I be worried? Just kidding! I will take any help
                                you are willing to offer. Of course our weather is not really
                                cooperating right now. Gotta love freezing rain...not! Anyway, I
                                live in South King County. Kent/Auburn area. So not close but not
                                to terribly far. Local call anyway.

                                Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!
                                Mary