Thinking About buying ETX 125 ec

  • morden8uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hello All,

      New here!!.... thinking about selling my 102mm Refractor & 150mm
      Newt to buy an ETX 125 ec... is this a good move?.

      I like the thought of Goto + lightweight + portable!!.

      My 150mm on Eq3-2 is heavy, and does put me off going out sometimes.

      Thanks

      Rob
    • Tim Moore
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004

        Hi

        I bought my ETX-125ec about 6 weeks ago and have been very happy with it’s performance once I got to grips with what it was and was not capable of (it is my first scope).

        Certainly it does offer good portability, I have the field tripod and the whole thing will go happily on the back seat of my car no problem and is set up very quickly and easily.

        As this was my first scope I am so pleased I went for Goto. Now I have got to grips with aligning properly I can just select the guided tour facility know what I am looking at without any doubts.

        Also if I am short on time and only have an hour spare for viewing I can pack tons of stuff in to that one hour using goto.

        I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending this scope to anyone.

        Clear skies.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
          It really depends upon where your interest lay...
          The ETX-125 is a long focal length scope. At f15 it makes quick work out
          of the planets, but makes big DSO's say M31 impossible to get into the
          field of view.
          The ETX-125 is quite portable, as I can easliy pick it up but the tripod
          and carry it inside without feeling the need to tear down. I simply push
          the self storing dew shield back into the stored position over the OTA,
          screw the lens cover on, and carry the unit into the garage.
          If portability and high magnification is your cup of tea, then the
          ETX-125 is one tough scope to beat. If astrophotography and dim and
          fuzzy is your cup of tea, then you may want to look elsewhere.
          Which ever way that you turn you will want the UTHC option. It's well
          worth the extra cost.

          Have fun

          Mike

          New here!!.... thinking about selling my 102mm Refractor & 150mm Newt to
          buy an ETX 125 ec... is this a good move?.

          I like the thought of Goto + lightweight + portable!!.

          My 150mm on Eq3-2 is heavy, and does put me off going out sometimes.

          Thanks

          Rob

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/o_XolB/TM
        • Richard Blaisdell
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
            I've had mine since Jan. this year and love it. Like any computer
            controlled scope it takes time to learn.Patience is a must. Check
            out Mike Weasner's ETX site for helpful tips.I live in the Northern
            Adirondacks of NY and have fairly dark skies when not obscured by
            clouds.My other nemesis is trees and being in a valley. This year
            I've seen 84 of the Messier catalog,26 of the Caldwell and all the
            planets except Pluto,The Transit of Venus ( with proper
            filtering),plus what the Guided Tour offers.All that on 14 good
            nights. And by all means get the UHTC option.Rick.
          • jberenyi
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
              I have an ETX-125 EC UHTC in mint condition with accessories. Are
              you interested? If so, email me at jberenyi@... and I can
              give you pics and details. They sure are nice and my only reason to
              sell would be to get into an LX90 or LX200 series for
              astrophotograpy.

              John

              --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, morden8uk <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > Hello All,
              >
              > New here!!.... thinking about selling my 102mm Refractor & 150mm
              > Newt to buy an ETX 125 ec... is this a good move?.
              >
              > I like the thought of Goto + lightweight + portable!!.
              >
              > My 150mm on Eq3-2 is heavy, and does put me off going out
              sometimes.

              > Thanks
              >
              > Rob
            • Malcolm Stewart
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
                  <snip>

                  What I find interesting is that the UHTC option which raises
                  transmission a few percent is normally recommended, and that (even
                  careful) cleaning of lens and reflector surfaces is normally not
                  recommended for obvious reasons if things go wrong.

                  <snip>

                  Malcolm, since I have had my ETX-125 equipped with the UHTC package, I
                  was dewed out one night at a star party. Not knowing any better, I
                  placed the lens cap on, and took the scope home. I stored it inside, and
                  did not bother to remove the dew cap for a week or so. When I did, it
                  was egad!
                  I had mold growing on the corrector of my beloved little Mak. It was a
                  mess to say the least, and I was sick. I went to Mr. Weasners Mighty ETX
                  site, and made my shopping list to make my "Dr Clays Solution". I didn't
                  skimp on anything and made the concoction just as the simple
                  instructions said. Take my word for it, it works wonders. It took
                  everything off and left no residue. I am in Central Missouri, and we
                  have a problem with pollen. I am no longer afraid to clean the optics
                  <when necessary> and am not worried about the coatings. I have had the
                  telescope for 2 years this upcoming February, and it is showing no signs
                  of breakdown in the coatings. I wouldn't touch it with anything other
                  than Dr Clay's scope stuff. We have used it on other lens in my
                  astronomy club as well. As I was, they are sold on it now as well.

                  For me... It's UHTC all of the way!

                  Mike