You want PEC? You've got PEC! Meade's posted v32Ea

  • autostaretx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
      Meade has posted version 32Ea of the 497 firmware.
      http://www.meade.com/support/auto/Build.zip

      And it adds PEC to ***all*** Polar-mountable
      Autostarred telescopes.

      (it's more than PEC, it's less than PPEC,
      it must be SPPEC (semi-permanent PEC)).

      If you PARK your scope at the end of a session,
      the PEC Training is still valid the next time you power up.

      This version also switches to Lunar Tracking if you
      GoTo the Moon

      ..a patch kit will be along in a few days...

      have fun
      --dick
    • Airconvent
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
        Hi Dick,
        Thanks for the info.
        I'm stumped why Meade does not give any details as to
        what improvements they made to the new release.
        How did you manage to find out?
        Cheers

        --- autostaretx <rseymour@...> wrote:
        > Meade has posted version 32Ea of the 497 firmware.
        > http://www.meade.com/support/auto/Build.zip
        >
        > And it adds PEC to ***all*** Polar-mountable
        > Autostarred telescopes.
        >
        > (it's more than PEC, it's less than PPEC,
        > it must be SPPEC (semi-permanent PEC)).
        >
        > If you PARK your scope at the end of a session,
        > the PEC Training is still valid the next time you
        > power up.
        >
        > This version also switches to Lunar Tracking if you
        > GoTo the Moon
        >
        > ..a patch kit will be along in a few days...
        >
        > have fun
        > --dick

        =====
        To Boldy Go Where No Meade has Gone Before
        Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, Airconvent <airconvent@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Dick,
          > Thanks for the info.
          > I'm stumped why Meade does not give any details as to
          > what improvements they made to the new release.
          > How did you manage to find out?

          Download ZIP file.

          Open same.

          Inside is the ReadMe.txt file which says:
          --------------------
          Upgrades to 32Ea

          PEC added for Polar mounted scopes
          PEC can be found under Setup - Telescope - Smart Drive.
          Smart Drive will only appear for Polar Mounted scopes. Smart Drive
          is for the RA motor only. Run PEC Train first and if needed then run
          PEC Update after to improve the table. Training for LX90 and
          LXD55/75 will take about 8 - 9 mins. Training for ETX 90/105/125
          will take about 24 mins. To train use the handbox, AutostarSuite
          with the LPI, or any other autoguider using the #909 Accessory Port
          Module (if the scope will allow the #909). After training PEC, go to
          PEC On/Off to turn on PEC to have the scope follow the commands. At
          the end of your session if you want to keep your training, you have
          to Park your scope. If you do not park your scope the Autostar will
          not be able to remember its position on the worm.

          For German Mounts, Three Star has been added to the Alignment menu.
          This will improve pointing.

          For Polar mounted scope you can now use any alignment star in the sky.

          Improved Satellite tracking for LXD55/75 scopes.

          On a Moon Goto, Autostar will change to Lunar tracking rate.
          Autostar will change back to previously selected rate on the next
          Goto. Note: If Lunar tracking rate is selected while in Lunar
          Tracking, it becomes the default rate and the scope will stay at
          Lunar tracking on the next Goto.

          Some serial strings fixed.

          Some data base errors fixed.
          ---------------------------

          (dang.. another dark secret exposed to the world...)

          have fun
          --dick
        • Airconvent
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
            Thanks Dick...always the helpful one.
            Appreciate it.

            =====
            To Boldy Go Where No Meade has Gone Before
            Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • David Erbas-White
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
              autostaretx wrote:

              > Meade has posted version 32Ea of the 497 firmware.
              > http://www.meade.com/support/auto/Build.zip
              >
              > And it adds PEC to ***all*** Polar-mountable
              > Autostarred telescopes.
              >
              > (it's more than PEC, it's less than PPEC,
              > it must be SPPEC (semi-permanent PEC)).

              OK, I admit it, I'm an idiot (once again).

              I've been waiting for somebody to ask, but...

              Just what the heck is PEC, anyway???

              David Erbas-White
            • autostaretx
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
                --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, David Erbas-White <derbas@a...>
                wrote:
                > autostaretx wrote:
                >
                > > Meade has posted version 32Ea of the 497 firmware.
                > > http://www.meade.com/support/auto/Build.zip
                > >
                > > And it adds PEC to ***all*** Polar-mountable
                > > Autostarred telescopes.
                > >
                > > (it's more than PEC, it's less than PPEC,
                > > it must be SPPEC (semi-permanent PEC)).
                > >

                > OK, I admit it, I'm an idiot (once again).
                >
                > I've been waiting for somebody to ask, but...
                >
                > Just what the heck is PEC, anyway???

                Periodic Error Correction.

                (i've gone to bed... please do the legwork of reading
                Meade's advertising bumpf on what they call "Smart Drive"
                in the LX200gps material at their website...)

                have (yawn) fun
                --dickzzzzzzzz
              • David Erbas-White
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2004