Problems running ACP (Astronomer's Control Panel) with an ETX125

  • tpoole009
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      I have an ETX125 with an Autostar #497 and have recently purchased
      Meade's Astrofinder software and connection kit. When I first
      installed this onto my PC and connected it to the telescope
      everything worked fine. I did not use the scope for a time and now
      when I try and use this software it keeps coming up with an error
      message saying that no telescope was detected and to check both power
      and control connections which I have done and both appear to be OK.
      Out of desperation I took the supplied plug that connects the PC (via
      the COMs port)to the Autostar controller apart to see if the wiring
      was OK and out of the 6 wires only 3 appear to be used, the others
      are just left unconnected inside the plug.

      Does anyone know if this is correct and if it is where else could the
      problem lie.

      Regards.
    • Mike Weasner
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        Get the latest version from their web site:

        http://acp.dc3.com/

        If you using an old version, that might be the problem.

        --
        Mike Weasner
        Email: mweasner@... iChatAV: mweasner@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "tpoole009" <tpoole009@y...> wrote:

          > I have an ETX125 with an Autostar #497 and have recently purchased
          > Meade's Astrofinder software and connection kit. When I first
          > installed this onto my PC and connected it to the telescope
          > everything worked fine. I did not use the scope for a time and now
          > when I try and use this software it keeps coming up with an error
          > message saying that no telescope was detected and to check both
          > power and control connections which I have done and both appear
          > to be OK.
          > Out of desperation I took the supplied plug that connects the
          > PC (via the COMs port)to the Autostar controller apart to see
          > if the wiring was OK and out of the 6 wires only 3 appear to
          > be used, the others are just left unconnected inside the plug.
          >
          > Does anyone know if this is correct and if it is where else
          > could the problem lie.

          Three wires is the correct connection
          (signal in, signal out, ground reference)

          You could try the Autostar communcation tests listed here:
          http://www.weasner.com/etx/autostar/as_testing.html

          As Mike posted, there are ACP patches...
          (have you been updating your computer (such as Microsoft patches)?
          Although I can't think of why they would break this particular
          application)

          good luck
          --dick
        • Mark Doucette
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
            The problem is more then likely in the system properties of the
            computer. What version of Windows are you running? Do you know how to
            get to the Device Manager?

            Right click on "My Computer" and click on "Properties"
            Win98 - Click "Device Manager"
            Win2K or XP - Click "Hardware" then "Device Manager"

            Check under "Ports" to see the condition of the serial ports. The
            resourses my be used by something else. You must make sure that either
            COM1 or COM2 is available then select that com port in the Astrofinder
            software.

            Please reply to me if you need more help with this.

            Doucer.