Re: [ETXASTRO] Re: New ETX125ATC Review/Observations - Beginner

  • Jay Ward
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
      Jason Stromback wrote:

      >I have a question to anyone who has a either a ETX-90 or ETX-125. Anyone
      >wish they had the other one of the two? Anyone with both scopes? Which one
      >do you prefer if so? I currently have a ETX-70AT. I am pleased with it.
      >However i a saving for a bigger scope. Probably the ETX-125. But i am
      >curious if people who have it, wish they would have bought a ETX-90. My
      >father purchased a DS-90AT from Sam's Club. I dont like the long length of
      >it. Every time i focus it. The view moves out of the eyepiece, mostly
      >because the focus is kinda stiff, and the scope is way more wobbly then my
      >short ETX scope. When i focus my ETX i have no problem with the image
      >moving out of the view. One last thing. I noticed the coating on my scope
      >on the front lense. (kinda blueish - purplish) But my dad's seems to be
      >clear. I dont see the same coating on his. Both are obviously Meade's
      >telescopes. I am wondering if his has the same coating as mine or just a
      >different one.

      I've had both. I currently have the ETX125 UHTC. I like it better than
      the 90. It's everything the 90 was, just bigger. That means it sees
      better, it is 1900mm fl as opposed to 1200 so you do get a narrower
      field of view.

      You will always wonder if you buy the 90. You'll be glad if you buy the 125.

      Jay
      S.Florida
      http://www.gate.net/~jaywward
    • John Chambers
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
        > I have a question to anyone who has a either a ETX-90 or ETX-125.
        Anyone
        > wish they had the other one of the two? Anyone with both scopes?
        Which one
        > do you prefer if so? I currently have a ETX-70AT. I am pleased
        with it.
        > However i a saving for a bigger scope. Probably the ETX-125. But
        i am
        > curious if people who have it, wish they would have bought a ETX-
        90. msn.com

        I have both (plus a 10" LXD55). I started with the ETX-90EC, but
        after just a few months I upgraded to the ETX-125. The ETX-125 is,
        and will probably remain, my favorite of the three scopes that I
        own. It's small enough to move outside already assembled (unlike the
        big LXD55), but gets much better views than the '90.

        After some initial use, I can set up, level, align and have it hooked
        up to my PC laptop and CCD in about 15 minutes. It performs goto's
        flawlessly most of the time, and tracks pretty well considering how
        difficult it is to polar align the 884 tripod (the 883 with the ETX-
        90 is easier to polar align, but too light for the 125).

        If I could only have ONE scope, I'd happily take my ETX-125. I have
        the Meade electronic focuser which I really find almost necessary,
        and the $99 eyepiece deal was a definate plus. Unfortunately I
        purchased mine before they started throwing in the tripod and
        Autostar, but I still love the ETX-125 for all around use.

        just my .02 cents worth...

        (I like my LXD55 too, but for ease of setting up and use there is no
        comparison!)