Re: [ETXASTRO] Replacing viewfinder for ETX 90?

  • Alfred Fink
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003
      The default finder as it has bee put does have relatively narrow field of view but for it's diminutive size it is actually a nice little scope in itself, if the narrow field of view is the problem rather than replacing it add a non-magnifying finder such as a Rigel Quickfinder. I use a Telrad on my larger scopes but this is jut too big for an ETX, the floating rings make for a very easy mode of alignment, and the Quickfinder stands away from the OTA making it more useful when near zenith or if trying to polar align.

      Al Fink
      RAS Outreach Director
      http://www.rivastro.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003
        I have to admit that once I alligned it properly the default finder has worked very very well for me.

        Jason

        =====
        To Boldy Go Where No Meade has Gone Before
        Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/o_XolB/TM

      • rlacom
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003
          I had the same problem too until I read the manual. I centered the
          viewfinder first in the holding bracket using the three back screws.
          I then centered the main scope on the head of a light pole with the
          26mm eyepiece. Next I adjusted the front three viewfinder screws to
          match the main scope target. You have to play with it a bit
          alternatively loosening and tightening the front screws to move the
          cross hairs onto the target. Also, don't twist the view finder. Be
          sure the cross hairs are exactly vertical and horizontal. Tilting
          will screw you up. Finally, be sure all screws are firm placed not loose.

          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "TG Browning" <tgbrowning@w...> wrote:
          > Agreed, the view finder sucks big time. The right angle one is only
          > marginally better. Getting the bloody thing aligned correctly is
          difficult
          > with the screws and longer screws seem to be the only viable answer
          to me.
          > AND it drifts. within in a few minutes of aligning it, the position has
          > changed significantly. Part of the problem might be thermal but I
          suspect
          > the screws simply relax some.
          >
          > Browning>>>

        • travisedwin
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2003
            I use a Rigel Quickfinder. It snaps into place on your scope in a
            second and aligns with the scope very quickly using three little
            knobs. Once you've used your Autostar to set up your ETX, it comes
            right off the scope, so it's completely out of the way.
            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "gbcastro1" <gloriabcastro@a...>