Re: [ETXASTRO] New Scope Comments

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2003
      --- Brent Knight <comworks1@...> wrote:
      One of the first problems I encountered with it
      > involved the initial nightly alignment. From my yard, I get a very
      > small view of the sky and my problem is that I can't usually see
      > 2 good alignment stars for all the trees blocking the view. So
      > when I want to do some "quick" observing, I usually have to
      > do it without the goto capability. Fortunately I have a darker
      > clear
      > site I can go to that's about a 15 minute drive away.

      I was wondering if you knew that if the first alignment stars can't
      bee seen, you can ask the Autostar to move on to another one.
      According to the on line manual:

      "If an alignment star is hidden by an obstruction, another star may
      be selected by pressing on of the scroll keys. Autostar automatically
      selects and slews to the next star."

      From my back yard, I sometimes have to go through 4 or 5 selections
      to find two that I can see or ones that I can identify. Hope that
      helps. If would be a shame to have an Autostar and not use it.

      Bill
      Pittsburgh.

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Brent Knight
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2003
        Hello Bill,

        I just recently learned how to use the "Syncronize" feature also.  I think that
        may help out a bit too.  But, my big problem is I get about a 30 deg. dec and
        maybe 50 deg. ra "Window" to see through, and that window is about 30 deg
        above the Western horizon.  I will need to try using other stars like you suggest,
        but I'm afraid there might not be enough separation between them.  Maybe that
        and the sync feature will let me use the goto.

        I'll keep you posted with my progress.

        ___________________________

              Brent Knight
           E T X 1 0 5 - E C
          Niceville   Florida
        ___________________________

          One of the first problems I encountered with it
        > involved the initial nightly alignment.  From my yard, I get a very
        > small view of the sky and my problem is that I can't usually see
        > 2 good alignment stars for all the trees blocking the view.  So
        > when I want to do some "quick" observing, I usually have to
        > do it without the goto capability.  Fortunately I have a darker
        > clear
        > site I can go to that's about a 15 minute drive away.

        I was wondering if you knew that if the first alignment stars can't
        bee seen, you can ask the Autostar to move on to another one.
        According to the on line manual:

        "If an alignment star is hidden by an obstruction, another star may
        be selected by pressing on of the scroll keys. Autostar automatically
        selects and slews to the next star."

        From my back yard, I sometimes have to go through 4 or 5 selections