Re: [ETXASTRO] Re: Lighter Fuel?

  • H B
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003

      Having worked in heavy engineering and maintaining a fleet of vehicles, Armorall is a bad product long term.  Silicone will ultimately dry out plastic and rubber.  It also has a bad rep. for holding in contaminents like ozone which eventually cause the plastic to "out-gas" and crack.

      There are two products that I have had personal, long term experience using that keep plastic and rubber "moisturized" and sealed.  A product called 303 Protectant and 3M's Vinyl and Rubber Conditioner.  They are more expensive than Armorall and similar products, but work better and last longer on the surface applied too.  The 3M stuff is available at autobody supply houses and 303 is found at high end specialty auto-supply houses like "Think Jeep" - 800-633-2474 (I think that's the number - I called it a hundred times!).

      Anytime you apply this kind of stuff - make sure the surface is clean from dust, dirt, and body oils.

      My $0.02.

      Hank B.

       jim abbey <etxjim@...> wrote:

      I have use Armorall on all the plastic parts and I only used it once and that was a month ago and it still has a shine to it!  Lighter fuel would not be good on painted surfaces  . Lighter  fluid is to  corrosive for my likes and its up to you, its your scope. Do it at your own risk. I smoke and I use butane but I wont smoke around my scopes. I wipe down my scope after every use. When Im not using my scopes ,I keep them covered with  a large black  weather proof cloth.

       Henry <henren_98@...> wrote:

      Doc Clay has recommended it in the past but as Jim said I would be
      careful around the plastic.   hjs

      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "whiskymasteruk" <garwood@l...> wrote:
      > I have read that by using Lighter Fuel on the outside of the ETX
      > tube will keep it in good condition and preserve the natural color &
      > lustre, is this a safe procedure to carry out or should I use
      > something else?
      >
      > Paul
      > 50:06:26n
      > 1:14:50e