ETX-60AT and 932 erecting prism?

  • Rich
    • TLN
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        I tried the erecting prism #932 from my ETX90 on my 60. I had the same
        problem you do. Seems the focal point of the 60 falls short of the prism. I
        also tried my camera adapter from the 90 on the 60 and have the same
        problem.

        Possibly a longer focusing shaft on the 60 would allow the 60 to focus further
        back. Although the OTA may not be long or short enough to allow the front
        objective assembly enough travel. I'm not an optics expert, this is
        speculation on my part.

      • Rich

          Thanks! I appreciate your testing that. I'll return the 932 and pick up the correct one, either from them or Scopetronix.

          I knew about the camera adapter not working because one of the dealers sold me the wrong one there too. The one
          for the 90/125 is much longer than the one for the 60. But I thought the prism would be just that, a prism with no optics.
          My guess now is that the prism itself may be ground to adjust for the different focal points since the dimensions look
          the same?

          Thanks again!

          Rich...

          On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:32:02 -0400, TLN wrote:

          >I tried the erecting prism #932 from my ETX90 on my 60. I had the same
          >problem you do. Seems the focal point of the 60 falls short of the prism. I
          >also tried my camera adapter from the 90 on the 60 and have the same
          >problem.
          >
          >Possibly a longer focusing shaft on the 60 would allow the 60 to focus further
          >back. Although the OTA may not be long or short enough to allow the front
          >objective assembly enough travel. I'm not an optics expert, this is
          >speculation on my part.
          >

          >On 1 Oct 01, at 10:57, Rich wrote:

          Practice Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless...Umm...Uhh....
          Oh - Heck...I never could remember all that "nice" stuff.
          - -----------------------------{rich@...}------------------------------

        • TLN
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
            The camera adapter for the 90 comes apart. You can unscrew a section thus
            making it shorter. I tried the short section with my 60 and it seemed too long
            also. I may be mistaken here as I just did a quick check. I think I saw on
            Weasners site that the short section would work. It may be close and depend
            on what 35mm camera you are using. I tried the short section with a Canon
            A-1 camera.

            Tom

            On 1 Oct 01, at 12:43, Rich wrote:

            > Thanks! I appreciate your testing that. I'll return the 932 and pick up the correct one, either from them or Scopetronix.
            >
            > I knew about the camera adapter not working because one of the dealers sold me the wrong one there too. The one
            > for the 90/125 is much longer than the one for the 60. But I thought the prism would be just that, a prism with no optics.
            > My guess now is that the prism itself may be ground to adjust for the different focal points since the dimensions look
            > the same?
            >
            > Thanks again!
            >
            > Rich...
            >
            > On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:32:02 -0400, TLN wrote:
            >
            > >I tried the erecting prism #932 from my ETX90 on my 60. I had the same
            > >problem you do. Seems the focal point of the 60 falls short of the prism. I
            > >also tried my camera adapter from the 90 on the 60 and have the same
            > >problem.
            > >
            > >Possibly a longer focusing shaft on the 60 would allow the 60 to focus further
            > >back. Although the OTA may not be long or short enough to allow the front
            > >objective assembly enough travel. I'm not an optics expert, this is
            > >speculation on my part.
            > >

            > >On 1 Oct 01, at 10:57, Rich wrote:

            > Practice Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless...Umm...Uhh....
            > Oh - Heck...I never could remember all that "nice" stuff.
            > - -----------------------------{rich@...}------------------------------

          • Rich

              Oh, sorry, I didn't mean for you to check that out also... I bought the correct adapter quite a while ago after finding out
              it was the wrong one. I also tried just the short section. It worked fine for local viewing but not anything at any great
              distance. The 60 does seem to have a very short focal point. Nothing like a camera lens... A millimeter off one way
              or the other and there's no way to obtain focus. You may be right about which body is used. I use Minoltas, originally
              an XK and now switched over to an X-570 because it's less than half the weight. Works fine with the correct adapter
              though, except for one minor point. The 60 just can't handle any outside weight. There was no way I could hang a
              35mm body on the rear. Even eye-piece projection is extremely difficult. I finally bought the Scoptronix adapter
              (piggy back with counter weights) mostly to get the counter weigth system. Even that won't hold a decent 35mm
              body. Wound up having to extend the counter weight bar about six inches to hold a one pound camera body... This
              'problem' really makes me wish I had a 90 or 125 because it seems thay can hold a decent camera. But I own the 60
              and am happy with it, mostly ;-)

              Thanks again...

              Rich...