Autostar extention cable??? and others

  • gonzosc1
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
      Is any place making and selling autostar extention cables? I would
      like to view inside the house(where its warm) on the computer using a
      web cam. So I need to find a long cable to connect the autostar to
      the scope. or do I have to make one? and on the same note, I plan on
      getting an electronic focuser, I guess maybe from meade. Is there an
      extention for that also???
    • Christopher Erickson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
        The voltage drop in a cable that long will probably be a problem for the
        Autostar.

        What about a heavy-gauge RS-232 serial cable from the Autostar to the PC inside
        instead?

        -Christopher Erickson
        Network Design Engineer
        We Byte
        5432 E. Northern Lights Blvd., Suite 529
        Anchorage, AK 99508
        N61° 11.710' W149° 46.723'
        www.data-plumber.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
          I Have done this very successfully. for the etx the 497 coil cord works well with a 8 pin telephone extension cord and a female to female plug mine is 30' long. For the connection to the rs-232 I again used a 3pair telephone wire and spliced into the meade 505 cable, be aware there is a cross connection in the cable that has to be maintained or it will not work ( see this site for this info http://www.weasner.com/etx and allot more info on etx scopes)  You could probably use a rs-232 extension cable for the length you need, Radio Shack didn't carry the length I needed.

          For the motorized focus you can just plug it into one of the aux jacks on the scope base and control it from the 497 hand controller make sure you have upgraded the software, this you can get from the meade site.

          In addition I use a modified web cam in the ota eyepiece to view and capture my observations on my pc. See this site for info on that be sure to read the FAQ section first it will answer allot of questions that are going to come up http://www.astrbio.demon.co.uk/QCUIAG  This group is the Quick CAM Unconventional Astrophotography Group really neat stuff on space imaging here.

          I sit inside and totally operate my etx outside 35' away with minimal trips outside to do fine alignment and focus.

          Have fun these two sites will keep you reading for a couple of days.

          Bob Tobin

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
            You can also use a cat 5 ethernet extension cable with a 8 pin female-
            female coupler. Mine is 50 ft long and works fine. I thought about
            making one 100ft, but I don't need it that long. cheapest place for
            cat 5 ethernet cable is Home Depot - about 1.2 of Radio Shack price.
            You can also buy pre-made cables about 10 ft long at RS and I think
            Walmart sells them too.

            --- In ETXASTRO@y..., "Robert Tobin" <rtobin@w...> wrote:
            > I Have done this very successfully. for the etx the 497 coil cord
            works well with a 8 pin telephone extension cord and a female to
            female plug mine is 30' long. For the connection to the rs-232 I
            again used a 3pair telephone wire and spliced into the meade 505
            cable, be aware there is a cross connection in the cable that has to
            be maintained or it will not work ( see this site for this info
            http://www.weasner.com/etx and allot more info on etx scopes) You
            could probably use a rs-232 extension cable for the length you need,
            Radio Shack didn't carry the length I needed.

            > For the motorized focus you can just plug it into one of the aux
            jacks on the scope base and control it from the 497 hand controller
            make sure you have upgraded the software, this you can get from the
            meade site.

            > In addition I use a modified web cam in the ota eyepiece to view
            and capture my observations on my pc. See this site for info on that
            be sure to read the FAQ section first it will answer allot of
            questions that are going to come up
            http://www.astrbio.demon.co.uk/QCUIAG This group is the Quick CAM
            Unconventional Astrophotography Group really neat stuff on space
            imaging here.

            > I sit inside and totally operate my etx outside 35' away with
            minimal trips outside to do fine alignment and focus.

            > Have fun these two sites will keep you reading for a couple of days.
            >
            > Bob Tobin

            Service.