Need Some Advise... slightly off topic.

  • warpedcorp
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2013
      I currently am contemplating the purchase of a new OTA... and would welcome all opinions. I currently have a GREAT ETX125 and a Meade 102ED Refractor.

      I'm thinking about either:

      Selling the 102ED and getting a 127 Triplett APO.

      Or keeping the 102Ed and getting a new 8" SCT - either a Meade ACF or Celestron Edge HD.

      Since I've never had an opportunity to compare side by side - in regards to visual observing:

      1. Will the 8" SCT give me the same performance on planetary viewing.
      2. Will there be a noticable difference in brightness and detail for DSO's due to the increased aperture?

      Any input and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.

      Waro
    • Rod Mollise
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2013
        1. Under good seeing the SCT will show _more_ on the planets.
        2. Yes.
        3. I know you didn't have a "three"...but here is one anyway. Meade is
        currently in serious financial trouble; I would wait to see how that turns
        out before buying anything from them.

        Rod Mollise
        Contributing Editor Sky and Telescope Magazine
        Uncle Rod's Astroblog:
        <http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com>