ETX80 and webcam

  • Phillip Morawa
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2013
      I have an EXT80 and brand-X telescope webcam. I use the rear port for the webcam. In daylight I can focus and film distant landscape objects successfully. I have a 25 mm eyepiece parafocal in the top port. I have not yet had the moon available to try that. When I tried Saturn all I could see on the laptop screen was pure black. Saturn is centered and focused in the eyepiece and I am assuming focus should at least be close as it is parafocal at around a half a mile terrestrial. The webcam is supposed to be auto everything with sliders to override most of the imaging settings, but no matter what I do, I can see nothing but black. Any ideas?

      This is the webcam, probably need to copy/paste to view.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/whyankee/8730919555/in/photostream
    • Michael Weasner
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2013
        Definitely try the moon, especially as it gets bigger and brighter. As to planets, I suspect the image size of the planet's disk is too small vs all the black area that the auto-exposure is sensing. You will probably need to adjust the exposure settings (shutter speed, gain, etc). It could be very sensitive and require a lot of trail and error.

        Mike Weasner
        http://www.weasner.com
        Twitter: @mweasner
        Sent from my iPad

        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2013
          Waiting for the moon is my next step...waiting is agony, of course! With so many variables it's difficult to know where to look for the solution. I bought the webcam used, so I hope it's fully functional. Getting the terrestrial shots is giving me hope that it is. The manufacturer is Asian and not that helpful.

          Thanks for your encouragement!

          Phillip