Re: [ETXASTRO] 2nd night of viewing..

  • Michael Weasner
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013
      Did you do a CALIBRATE MOTOR and TRAIN DRIVES (on both axes)? If not, do those.

      Mike Weasner
      http://www.weasner.com
      Twitter: @mweasner
      Sent from my iPhone 4

      On Feb 15, 2013, at 4:06, g1kot <g1kot@...> wrote:

      > what i did notice though that the slewing seems to drop and the image moves up the fov a small bit..
    • g1kot
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013
        ah. ok.. i'll check the manual on that then, and give it a go when i play with the laser dot finder..

        cheers
        mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
          Hi all.. 3rd night of clear skies, and what a view.. Great images of Jupiter with this scope.. Really pleased.. But will have to get a dew screen.. It's surprising what you can still see when the lens is completey fogged up.. LOL..

          Any also had a look at the web cam.. At the moment it can only go on the ep.. As the rear needs an adaptor for the webcam to fit.. Something for another day maybe.

          Anyway took some images of the moon and Jupiter, and they came out really well for a first try on this ..

          Still got to look at the finder adjustement and the drive train.. But hey.. Looking through the ep comes first..

          Cheers all..

          Mike
          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "g1kot" <g1kot@...> wrote:

          > ah. ok.. i'll check the manual on that then, and give it a go when i play with the laser dot finder..
          >
          > cheers
          > mike
          >

          > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, Michael Weasner <etx@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Did you do a CALIBRATE MOTOR and TRAIN DRIVES (on both axes)? If not, do those.
          > >
          > > Mike Weasner
          > > http://www.weasner.com
          > > Twitter: @mweasner
          > > Sent from my iPhone 4
          > >
          > > On Feb 15, 2013, at 4:06, g1kot <g1kot@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > what i did notice though that the slewing seems to drop and the image moves up the fov a small bit..

        • Brian Straight
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
            Mike,

            You're having fun, and that is what it is all about!

            Best,
            Brian

            Brian Straight, Ph.D.
            The Walnut Ridge Observatory

            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "g1kot" wrote:

            > ah. ok.. i'll check the manual on that then, and give it a go when i play with the laser dot finder..
            >
            > cheers
            > mike
            >

            > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, Michael Weasner wrote:
            > >
            > > Did you do a CALIBRATE MOTOR and TRAIN DRIVES (on both axes)? If not, do those.
            > >
            > > Mike Weasner
            > > http://www.weasner.com
            > > Twitter: @mweasner
            > > Sent from my iPhone 4
            > >
            > > On Feb 15, 2013, at 4:06, g1kot wrote:
            > >
            > > > what i did notice though that the slewing seems to drop and the image moves up the fov a small bit..

          • Chris Harvey
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
              Good stuff Mike, I opted for binoculars on tripod the other night for a look at the crescent moon; such a sharp image. But even just a thin crescent moon is enough to lighten the sky and ruin sights of things like the Orion nebula; could hardly make it out at all.
              Dew is a problem yes, a dew cover is a start; but the only proper solution is a 12v heating kit which completely stops it.
              Forget what I said about the rear port, I'll try again: with an ETX you are much better off using the top port since it doesn't affect the weight distribution and won't stress the mount. My only experience of this is using the LPI (top port) and Envisage software; and I'm sure people could suggest other software to try etc. I've kept a record of everything I've done here; and you can see how the kit list expands etc.
              We have a brightening Moon over the next week so that restricts us to the moon and planets really, hope the weather is kind for you.
              Chris

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
                HI guy's

                Interesting site Chris - i'll have a good read through, i've found plenty of info from websites on the ETX, which makes things a little easier.

                I was looking at the rear port orginally but given how it'll extend out the back and as others have commented add to the stress on the scope, i think i'll not go any further.. happy with just using the EP access.

                the issue i have in my location ( mostly my back garden (yard for our americans)) i really only have a high angle of viewing.. i've got a concept of building an obs and this is one other thing i have to take into account in the future, since i really cannot see low to mid horizons.. and so the rear port will be an obstruction i think.

                I'm running the scope from external power so the 12v heater strips might be an idea, i think on this unit the internal power has the stuck earth issue and does not power by the internal batteries, i could fix it, but no rush to do it at the moment, i've made up a couple of cables, a long 12v battery lead and a mains power, and also a small external battery pack, so i think i'm sorted on the power options.

                The moon was out in the clouds during the day on Sunday, so had another try with the finder in the daylight.. still seems to be off quite a bit, might need to change the springs? seems that the only way to get "spot on" laser dot is to have the finder base mount lifted slightly ( this lifts the plastic shroud around the OTA a couple of mm ) and i've yet to find a way to have the laser dot on all the time.

                So i've download a raft of tours to be uploaded on the hadset,( another homemade cable) but being a light polluted location the deep sky stuff is a struggle on the 12" lightbridge i have, so be interesting to see what this can do.

                the only real downer is that i want a goto on the lightbridge now..!!

                cheers all.. and i'll update you on the 4th installment if you don't mind weather permiting... i might even get to post a pic or two :-)

                Mike