how to repair broken right arm on ETX-90RA?

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3 4:23 AM
      I have an older ETX-90RA that has a broken right arm/ fork. The break is right where it screws into the base. A few years ago, I used plastic glue and it held up for a while but came loose again recently and this time I want to try a different approach if possible. I can't find any disassembly instructions on the web for this scope so I'm hesitant to do this without them. So, the bottom line is, how can I repair this arm and quickly?

      Thank you,
      Eric
    • pinyachta
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3 9:39 AM
        Compared with the EC and AT models this is a fairly easy repair. I have a new old stock fork arm you can purchase cheap and can send you the photos of the tear down. Just get me your email address and I'll get the photos out to you.
        Geo.

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <astro4565@...> wrote:

        > I have an older ETX-90RA that has a broken right arm/ fork. The break is right where it screws into the base. A few years ago, I used plastic glue and it held up for a while but came loose again recently and this time I want to try a different approach if possible. I can't find any disassembly instructions on the web for this scope so I'm hesitant to do this without them. So, the bottom line is, how can I repair this arm and quickly?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Eric

      • Eric Tv
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3 4:30 PM
          Thanks, but I got it.  I was able to simply drill out holes and then use nuts/bolts to secure the arm.  The only question remaining is how tight the center bottom nut should be?  At first it was so tight I could turn the RA knob once assembled but now I loosened it to roughly the same force as before.

          Eric

          Compared with the EC and AT models this is a fairly easy repair. I have a new old stock fork arm you can purchase cheap and can send you the photos of the tear down. Just get me your email address and I'll get the photos out to you.
          Geo.

          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <astro4565@...> wrote:

          > I have an older ETX-90RA that has a broken right arm/ fork. The break is right where it screws into the base. A few years ago, I used plastic glue and it held up for a while but came loose again recently and this time I want to try a different approach if possible. I can't find any disassembly instructions on the web for this scope so I'm hesitant to do this without them. So, the bottom line is, how can I repair this arm and quickly?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Eric

        • pinyachta
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4 5:03 AM
            Congrats. Yeah, that's mainly by feel. I generally tighten it up until I feel some striction and then back it off a hair.

            Got'ta take a Canon 300D apart and try to replace the flssh card pins. I screw it up and I'm out $30. Pray for me!
            Geo.

            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Tv" <astro4565@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, but I got it. I was able to simply drill out holes and then use nuts/bolts to secure the arm. The only question remaining is how tight the center bottom nut should be? At first it was so tight I could turn the RA knob once assembled but now I loosened it to roughly the same force as before.
            >
            > Eric

          • Brian Martindale
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5 7:02 AM
              Great news, another one resurrected; after my 125 PE broke its clutch axle I thought it was a gonna, but some ingenious engineering by a local machine shop got the bits working and it hasn't missed a beat since.

              Just built a Baader filter for it ready for the transit in the morning (UK time). Also did some for the big binocs. Everything is ready including 2 standby clouds in case the 12 tenths cover we have for the next 24 hrs (24 years?) somehow breaks up; we don't want to go seeing the sun do we?

              Congrats on the repair.

              Brian Martindale
              Mobile: 07973309131
              e-mail: msa.co@...