HELP!

  • sb029111
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
      I don't know if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I'm new to ETX's, and have no idea the inner workings of them. I do however own an 8" GEM cat from another well known scope manufacturer. :-)

      My problem is this, I got what I think is a pretty good deal on a used ETX-90EC. Why I thought it was such a good deal, is that it came with the Autostar controller, the hard case, and deluxe field tripod, along with 4 lenses.

      However, when I got it here, I saw that the scope itself will not maintain position. From what I got in the manual, I should be able to turn the "knob" on the right side of the scope to tighten it up, but no matter how much I turn, the scope is still loose in it's mount. By the "right" side, I'm talking the side on the right, when I'm behind the scope, with the eyepiece towards me, objective away from me.

      Am I doing something wrong, or is the unit broken, and if it's broken, can I fix it, and if I can, how?

      I noticed that I can pull that right arm away from the optical tube a bit, but am totally afraid to do so very much, as I'd like to maintain my "financial lead" in this deal.

      By the way, I got it all for $150. I think that's a pretty good deal, given what's on E-bay. I think that if I were to pick up a 105, or so on E-bay, I could still use the same case, tripot, and controller, probably even the same batteries, so wouldn't be all that upset.

      Thanks ahead of time for any help
      Steve
    • Mike Weasner
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
        The Right Tube Adapter is busted. See the article "ETX-90EC DEC fix (Right Tube Adapter repair)" on the Helpful Information: Telescope Tech Tips page on my ETX Site.

        On Nov 2, 2010, at 12:47, sb029111 wrote:

        > However, when I got it here, I saw that the scope itself will not maintain position. From what I got in the manual, I should be able to turn the "knob" on the right side of the scope to tighten it up, but no matter how much I turn, the scope is still loose in it's mount. By the "right" side, I'm talking the side on the right, when I'm behind the scope, with the eyepiece towards me, objective away from me.

        Mike Weasner Email: etx@... / Twitter: mweasner
        LX200-ACF-8" ETX-125AT ETX-105PE ETX-90RA ETX-70AT PST GPOD-XL5
        | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
        | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
        | -- according to ETX users worldwide |