Motor Fault on an ETX-60BB

  • Bob Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010

      Greetings,

                      I have an ETX-60BB edition that has been running fine and has given me some great view. I have replaced the handset with a 497 Autostar and changed over to a jumpstart battery. Last night I started it up it started the Easy align and it picked Arcturus and started off. The scope moved in Dec and the screen said slewing but the ra drive never moved.  I powered it off and put the old 494 back on it and started again. The Testing motors started and the Dec motor move but the RA didn’t and then I got a Motor Fault message.  I know I have to open it up but what should I be looking for.

      Thanks in advance

      Bob Anderson

      Shelby Ohio

    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
        > what should I be looking for.

        Dirt caught in the handbox socket...
        Loose connectors on the power panel or motor card...
        Did the RA motor make any -noise- or was it silent?

        Quicky test: unplug the handbox and power up the scope.
        If you're lucky, the motors will run randomly
        (i see short "burps" of motion at full speed)
        If it does that to both axes, then you'll know that (at least some of) the motor drive circuitry is OK.
        This test depends upon "noise" (floating connections due to "no handbox"), so is not a -reliable- test (your scope may be noise-immune)., but it's quick and easy to try.

        good luck
        --dick

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Anderson" <wm237@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I have an ETX-60BB edition that has been running fine and
        > has given me some great view. I have replaced the handset with a 497
        > Autostar and changed over to a jumpstart battery. Last night I started it up
        > it started the Easy align and it picked Arcturus and started off. The scope
        > moved in Dec and the screen said slewing but the ra drive never moved. I
        > powered it off and put the old 494 back on it and started again. The Testing
        > motors started and the Dec motor move but the RA didn't and then I got a
        > Motor Fault message. I know I have to open it up but what should I be
        > looking for.
        >

        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Bob Anderson
        >
        > Shelby Ohio

      • Bob Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010

          Dick,

                          Thanks for the reply.  The RA motor did not make any noise at all under the 494 and before that under the 497 it started to slew and went about 10 degrees

          Bob

          Loose connectors on the power panel or motor card...
          Did the RA motor make any -noise- or was it silent?

          Quicky test: unplug the handbox and power up the scope.
          If you're lucky, the motors will run randomly
          (i see short "burps" of motion at full speed)
          If it does that to both axes, then you'll know that (at least some of) the motor drive circuitry is OK.
          This test depends upon "noise" (floating connections due to "no handbox"), so is not a -reliable- test (your scope may be noise-immune)., but it's quick and easy to try.

          good luck
          --dick

          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Anderson" <wm237@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I have an ETX-60BB edition that has been running fine and
          > has given me some great view. I have replaced the handset with a 497
          > Autostar and changed over to a jumpstart battery. Last night I started it
          up
          > it started the Easy align and it picked Arcturus and started off. The
          scope
          > moved in Dec and the screen said slewing but the ra drive never moved. I
          > powered it off and put the old 494 back on it and started again. The
          Testing
          > motors started and the Dec motor move but the RA didn't and then I got a
          > Motor Fault message. I know I have to open it up but what should I be
          > looking for.
          >

          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > Bob Anderson
          >
          > Shelby Ohio

        • patrick hackelton
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
            you will get a motor fault error when the RA axis is all the against the stops also...this could have happened due to the new 497. TRY to put scope back in home position and and calibrate and re-train the RA drive.. also I had problems couple of weeks ago with my etx 90 ec RA drive would not turn "didnt get the motor error though" so finally I found that tighting th RA lock as far as it would go without breaking it solved my problem!!!

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
              also dont forget to do reset before calibrating and drive train