Re: ETX 90RA drive problem

  • pinyachta
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
      That's ball park for a used EC, but the EC is subject to a lot more mechanical issues and problems with electronics. Parts are scarce and Meade support is poor at best. Unless you've got to have goto the original RA mount is a good tool. While it's a little like cross dressing, I'm going to revive my Meade 2080 120vAC drive and see how well it will do with a Celestron Sky Scout mounted on the piggy back adapter.

      Another option for goto is the DS2000 mount. A simple "L" bracket made from some 3 by 3" or 4 by 4" 1/8 inch aluminum will let you mount the 90mm Mak. You can pick one up new for about the same price as the used EC and get a tripod and 494 Autostar in the bargain. Just read the manual!! I recently autopsied a dozen DS2000 mounts and found all the Az drives trashed. Apparently users follow the instructions to move the mount the the home position without loosening the base retaining knob. counted three mentions of this requirement in the instructions...sigh. Oh well, I've got lot of DS2000 parts.
      Geo.

      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark2382@...> wrote:

      > Another option might be to junk the RA fork and just buy a new EC fork from Telescope Warehouse. I had purchased a 90 OTA on ebay and thought to ask them if they knew where I could buy a fork (from time to time they list replacement bases for the RA - another option for you). I was happy to get a reply that although they don't list it on their website, they did have (at least at the time) the 90EC fork (and electronics) available. I don't recall what I paid exactly, but I believe it was less than $100. Pretty good deal.
      >
      > http://shop.telescope-warehouse.com/main.sc
      >
      > Mark
    • Mike Weasner
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2010
        If you want to mount the ETX-90RA OTA on a different mount, there are several articles on doing that on the Helpful Information: Telescope Tech Tips page on my ETX Site.

        Mike Weasner Email: etx@... / Twitter: mweasner
        LX200-ACF-8" ETX-125AT ETX-105PE ETX-90RA ETX-70AT PST GPOD-XL5
        | http://www.weasner.com/etx |
        | Since 1996 - "Best Meade ETX Telescope Web Site" |
        | -- according to ETX users worldwide |
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
          I can't swear to it, but at least the 90EC fork I got *looked* new. Obviously, I could have gotten lucky and this is a "your mileage may very" situation... As you pointed out, there is a real benefit to dealing with "the devil you know..."

          Mark