Re: New Meade Model?

  • iluvtwm
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
      Actually, there is a prepaid MasterCard offer that brings the price of the Nexstar to $699 with free shipping. Quite a deal:
      http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/440825-REG/Celestron_11068_NexStar_6_SE_6_0_150mm.html

      Cheers,
      JD

      --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "pinyachta" <pinyachta@...> wrote:

      > I see Meade is advertising a 6" SCT version of the LS without all the bells and whistles for under $1K. IMO this could be a winner, but is going up against the $800 Nexstar 6-SE. So I imagine street prices will be less than $999.
      > Geo.

    • pinyachta
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
        Yes, it is. With Meade in weak financial condition Synta has been moving agressively to increase Celestron's market share. Note the Stellarview ad in S&T offering their models on Celestron GEMs. I have to assume B&H are having these drop shipped. A delaer really can't maintain much inventory with only a 5% margin.

        Hate to say they are "dumping" them. Who knows? Maybe they can produce and deliver the N6-SE to the buyer for $665 and make a profit for themselves, but it is hard to understand how. Certainly the quality is there. The Nexstar mount has been around for 10 years now, but investments have been made to improve and it and add features. The basic materials such as aluminum, plastics, pyrex and silicone rise and fall with the markets. But they continue to use US made Pittman motors, which have to run about $50 a piece in quanity. Optics still require considerable labor to get right. Anyway a great deal for the buyer.
        Geo.

        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "iluvtwm" <jdm5@...> wrote:

        > Actually, there is a prepaid MasterCard offer that brings the price of the Nexstar to $699 with free shipping. Quite a deal:
        > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/440825-REG/Celestron_11068_NexStar_6_SE_6_0_150mm.html
        >
        > Cheers,
        > JD
        >
        > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "pinyachta" <pinyachta@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I see Meade is advertising a 6" SCT version of the LS without all the bells and whistles for under $1K. IMO this could be a winner, but is going up against the $800 Nexstar 6-SE. So I imagine street prices will be less than $999.
        > > Geo.

      • James Morrison
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
          I am sure that there is some dumping taking place. However, I also feel
          that there is a large markup at the manufacturing end (Probably on the
          order of 100%). The price we see at the retailer is way removed from
          the manufacturer. If the manufacturer has a large inventory, their
          price can drop considerably. This drop will be reflected throughout the
          chain. As for the dealer's markup, the 5% value seems very low. I
          think the price drops are a reflection of inventory backlogs.

          I agree that Meade seems to be in a weak financial condition. I have
          seen a real weakening in their tech support since I purchased my ETX125
          last year. Thank goodness I also got the Sky assurance policy. Even
          with it, the support has been shakey. I am in the process of packaging
          the unit for the 5th time in the first year of ownership. Send it in
          for one problem and it comes back with another. In some cases the a
          problem that has been fixed on one submission reappears after the unit
          is returned from a repair for something else. One time I was able to
          use the unit for 5 viewing sessions (about 15 hours) before something
          burned up. Otherwise, it wouldn't get through the the first series of
          calibrations.

          I can't sell the unit because I am not sure if the unit has been
          repaired. My only recourse is to check out the unit upon receipt and if
          it is defective, return it again. However, I am in the process of
          obtaining a replacement (not Meade).

          When finances weaken, the first thing to go is tech support. The first
          thing to increase is advertising. When I see a half dozen ads in the
          magazines I can see where Meade's money is going. I wonder if they are
          getting enough business from these ads. Even if they are, I am sure
          that the lack of product quality and support will cause a lot of
          problems in the long run. It's really too bad that a once excellent
          product has fallen so far. Even transferring the manufacturing and
          warehousing to other countries hasn't seemed to help much. I get the
          feeling that some of the past management really dropped the ball. They
          probably thought that outsourcing the manufacturing and warehousing
          alone would make everything alright. The outsourcing action only
          transfers the problem from one of costs to one of proper definition and
          verification for costs. This requires a fusing of the legal and
          engineering entities. After seeing the product I received, I am not
          sure that this fusion took place.

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4570 (20091103) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • pinyachta
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
            My dealer gave up on Meade support a few years ago and started to give me stuff to repair. It is rare to find real problems with the latest Meade electronics. More often loose and corroded connections are at fault. But fortunately no one has brought a RX400 in for repair! The ETX line has enough mount weaknesses to provide a good supply of cannibalized parts. I mostly see broken alt axles, stripped drive gears, bad power panels, broken alt conductors, corroded battery cases and a few bad motor control boards. Pretty much in that order.

            I have access to the dealer prices and the margins are right around 5%. The CGEM Pro is selling for $4999, the dealer cost is $4750. Some accessories have 10% margins, but inventory and showroom costs will quickly eat those margins up. Also manufacturer price drops, like Meade's recent eyepiece reductions, can leave the dealer caught with inventory now priced above retail. If you're in the hobby biz and RC models are selling well with 30% margins, display space for telescopes is going to get short shrift.

            The Asian and European distributors have been able to hold prices at or close to MSRP as they have exclusive sales rights on new equipment. But "open box" and used equipment can be sold on eBay, et al., which may be hurting their high margins.
            Geo.