ETX-90 EC Power Supply

  • ez2rock90
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hello all. I'm new to the group and have a quick question.

      Can I purchase a power supply at Radio Shack for the 90? If not what are my options other than buying from Meade? Ebay?

      Thanks,
      Phillip
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "ez2rock90" <ez2rock90@...> wrote:

        > Hello all. I'm new to the group and have a quick question.
        >
        > Can I purchase a power supply at Radio Shack for the 90?

        Yes.
        Almost any "wall wart" AC-to-DC adapter which supplies 12 volts,
        and at least 1000 milliamps (preferably 1500) should work.

        The connector is RadShack's size "N" (as in Nancy) adaptaplug
        center POSITIVE

        have fun
        --dick
      • ez2rock90
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
          --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

          > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "ez2rock90" <ez2rock90@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all. I'm new to the group and have a quick question.
          > >
          > > Can I purchase a power supply at Radio Shack for the 90?
          >
          > Yes.
          > Almost any "wall wart" AC-to-DC adapter which supplies 12 volts,
          > and at least 1000 milliamps (preferably 1500) should work.
          >
          > The connector is RadShack's size "N" (as in Nancy) adaptaplug
          > center POSITIVE
          >
          > have fun
          > --dick

          Thanks a million. I have located one at the local Radio shack for $25. 1500MA with free plug!

          PHillip
        • autostaretx
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
            --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "ez2rock90" <ez2rock90@...> wrote:

            > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "ez2rock90" <ez2rock90@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello all. I'm new to the group and have a quick question.
            > > >
            > > > Can I purchase a power supply at Radio Shack for the 90?
            > >
            > > Yes.
            > > Almost any "wall wart" AC-to-DC adapter which supplies 12 volts,
            > > and at least 1000 milliamps (preferably 1500) should work.
            > >
            > > The connector is RadShack's size "N" (as in Nancy) adaptaplug
            > > center POSITIVE
            > >
            > > have fun
            > > --dick

            > Thanks a million. I have located one at the local Radio shack
            > for $25. 1500MA with free plug!

            That's great... please remit the remaining $999,975 that you
            received as change.

            have fun
            -dick
          • George Cushing
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
              --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "ez2rock90" <ez2rock90@...> wrote:
              > > The connector is RadShack's size "N" (as in Nancy) adaptaplug
              > > center POSITIVE
              > >
              > Thanks a million. I have located one at the local Radio shack for $25. 1500MA with free plug!
              >
              > PHillip

              Not sure the plug was "free", they usually give you one with each unit, but the interchangeable plugs RS sells with/or for this unit are a great idea. Get the "M" plug and you are good for a lot of Celestron and Orion products.
            • stevethornton54
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
                While you're on the subject, is there a power supply at Radio Shack for the ETX-125? Has anyone used that successfully?

                Steve

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
                  --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "George Cushing" <pinyachta@...> wrote:

                  > --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "ez2rock90" <ez2rock90@> wrote:
                  > > > The connector is RadShack's size "N" (as in Nancy) adaptaplug
                  > > > center POSITIVE
                  > > >
                  > > Thanks a million. I have located one at the local Radio shack for $25. 1500MA with free plug!
                  > >
                  > > PHillip
                  >
                  > Not sure the plug was "free", they usually give you one with each
                  > unit, but the interchangeable plugs RS sells with/or for this unit
                  > are a great idea. Get the "M" plug and you are good for a lot of
                  > Celestron and Orion products.

                  Warning: the "M" (Mary) is 6.1mm, the "N" (Nancy) is 5.5mm

                  It -is- possible to cram the M into the Meade socket.
                  Doing so distorts the spring which serves as the "switch" between
                  internal and external power.
                  After you pull the plug back out, the internal power may not
                  reconnect. And the distorted spring -may- short out the positive
                  to negative.

                  Something i recommend (and do!) is *securely* tape the plug to
                  the cable. This avoids unplugging the can-reverse-polarity in
                  the cold and dark.

                  have fun
                  --dick
                • autostaretx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
                    --- In ETXASTRO@yahoogroups.com, "stevethornton54" <stevethornton1@...> wrote:

                    > While you're on the subject, is there a power supply at Radio
                    > Shack for the ETX-125? Has anyone used that successfully?

                    Same answer... as long as you have 1500 milliamps, you're
                    probably fine. 2 amps would be better.

                    have fun
                    --dick

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
                      Got the power supply yesterday with N plug. Used it last night for the first time. WOW!!! What a difference. Thanks everyone. FWIW, it was 25.39 total at my local Radio Shack. 1500 ma.